PDA

View Full Version : Help with Second Body (40D, 5D, 1DMK2N)

Aaron Jors
01-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I've had my Canon 30D now for about a year and a half and would like to purchase a second body. My primary subjects are Nature & Wildlife and Landscapes. The bodies I am currently considering are 40D, 5D, 1DMKIIN. Currently I am leaning towards the 5D for the following reasons...

1. I enjoy shooting Landscapes the most.
2. 40D is similar to the 30D which I already have.
3. IDMKIIN would be nice for Wildlife (Birds, Mammals..etc) due to better autofocus, however I think I would benefit more with a 500mm f/4L IS before going with that body. Unfortunatly I can't afford a 500mm.

The one question I have is what advantages/disadvantages am I going to see in landscape shots when comparing the 30D to 5D. Any other insight would also be appreciated. Thanks, Aaron.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Aaron if you will be doing landscapes and shooting WA mostly then the 5D would be the one to get

Mixing landscape and birds might tilt the scale to the 1DMk2n I had nothing but good results with that camera Highly recommended !!!!

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Alfred nailed it. My recommendations are the same. For landscape, the 5D is going to to best the 30D/40D. 1DMIIn is best for wildlife and will shot decent landscapes. I have a Mark III and started using that so much for landscapes that I sold my 1DsMII.

Judd Patterson
01-05-2008, 08:48 PM
The 5D is an awesome camera and complimented my 30D very well (found myself using the 5D more frequently in fact).

Ed Prete
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
If you had juggled your preferences more, I might suggest the 40D as it really is worlds better than the 30 and 20. I had one for a short time and tested it in the field at Jamaica Bay and loved the AF speed and accuracy. It almost made me consider selling my N, but unfortunately to the north we often rely on the 1.4 and 2Xs regularly for birds, etc.

But since you named landscapes as your preferred shooting subject, then the 5D is the way to go, or if you can, wait and see what Canon delivers down the pipe to replace the 5D. I am guessing something will be coming sooner rather than later. But in any event the 5D is an excellent body choice for landscapes.