PDA

View Full Version : couple of Silvery Grebe feeding chick

Leandro Herrainz
02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Hello! I took this picture on november 2012 on Rio Grande (north part of Tierra del Fuego)
was a great moment to see both grebes working hard.
hope you like it, as always, comments and suggestions are more than welcome!
Canon 1D Mark III + 300 f4L IS + extender 2x
Av f11
Tv 1/640
Iso 1000

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vxArIST7_Qo/UMI45wsJENI/AAAAAAAABm8/TdQIjujHChY/s1600/maca-gris-con-pichon.jpg

jack williamson
02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Very nice image Leandro, great IQ and nice behavior. I would rather the dark object in the BG not be there.

PhilCook
02-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Great family scene and loving the chick on the back and interaction between parent and chick. Some nice detail showing through including water droplets on the back. The focus seems to be more on the fluffy rear end than the heads though, or maybe just misty bleak atmospheric conditions. I wonder if the birds need some selective color boost and or a contrast tweak as the heads look a little flat, or even just a selective sharpen on the heads only.

Robert Holguin
02-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Terrific shot.
Love the interaction here.
Nice details, great comp, and great shooting angle.
My only nit and its just me is not being able to see the beak on the grebe carrying the chick.
Well done.

Satish Ranadive
02-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Leandro:
Magnificent image of beautiful family and their interaction and lovely expression.
Beautiful colorscheme. Love the beautiful red eyes,nice details, cool pose of cute little one with wing spread,water droplets on feathers and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Leandro Herrainz
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments!
Phil, I will see the original file to check the focus, thanks!

Marina Scarr
02-26-2013, 10:37 PM
This is TRULY some incredible behavior you captured here, Leandro. You must have been so thrilled to witness and photograph this family interaction. My first thought is that your focus is on the butt feathers where you have wonderful details. Then the chick is pretty well in focus but the focus is falling off somewhat on the adults. F11 with a 2xTC just isn't enough DOF to get the entire family in focus. Your other choices were to focus on the chick or the head of one of the adults...not sure I have a viable solution. Since the chick and the adult about to feed it are close to being on the same plane, that is probably where I would have focused. I can only hope I could have thought it through and acted that fast. You may try some additional sharpening on the adults heads.

Thank you for sharing and looking forward to more.

Leandro Herrainz
02-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Thanks Marina! great advise, the situation was really dificult, because they were very far from me, but in just a few second they were so close, the image has not crop!

<tbody>

</tbody>