PDA

View Full Version : Icy junco

Hazel Grant
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
In our small ice storm today several birds visited us, including this junco. Grey sky, low light conditions. Adjusted color/exposure, slight crop.

Nikhil Patwardhan
02-22-2013, 07:21 PM
I like the reflection in the bird's eye and the exposure seems to be good. It looks like this image has been cropped quite a lot? I'd like to have more space on either side, more towards the right. The image could be sharper, perhaps a tripod could be used the next time you shoot this bird? Also, if you would like to try, it would be interesting to see how this looks in B/W, I think there would be more scope for tonal gradations to stand out in the image in B/W.

Hazel Grant
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I like the reflection in the bird's eye and the exposure seems to be good. It looks like this image has been cropped quite a lot? I'd like to have more space on either side, more towards the right. The image could be sharper, perhaps a tripod could be used the next time you shoot this bird? Also, if you would like to try, it would be interesting to see how this looks in B/W, I think there would be more scope for tonal gradations to stand out in the image in B/W.

Thanks for commenting. Yes, the photo was cropped and I am posting the original. Comp of original does fit your comments. Also, I tried the BW version and do like it. Re the use of tripod, I find it hard to use a tripod in cases like this because I would then have trouble fixing on the birds as they move quickly. Will keep practicing.

Nikhil Patwardhan
02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Hazel, I very much like the re-posted version. Kudos to you for trying it. What gear are you using?

Hazel Grant
02-25-2013, 12:23 AM
I have a Nikon D7000 (recent upgrade from the D40x--still getting used to it). Tamron 70-300 lens. PP in photoshop.