PDA

View Full Version : White Pelican - Wing Flap

Colin Gilyeat
02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Sat at Blackwater NWR, MD and watched this pelican for a hour or so waiting for the sun to get low enough to get some good light. it had been on the same rock for 4-5 hours without doing much other than a little preening.

Nikon D7000, 500mm, ISO400, f/8, 1/1000, -1/3EV, tripod

PP in LR4, adjusted levels, sharpened, slight crop for framing, remaining image about 95% of the original.

I think it coud probably use a lttle more canvas on the bottom, but I wa reluctant to add it becsue how busy it is.
Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Colin

Marina Scarr
02-21-2013, 08:38 AM
First of all, I commend you on your patience which is a big part of nature photography and capturing special moments in special light. I agree that you need more canvas below and I would not have added it either for the reasons you state. I like how you placed the rocks in the lower left corner and a little more water would have been nice. Nice pose but the branches are unfortunately truly distracting in this image.

Miguel Palaviccini
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Colin

Your self assessment is spot on. Great job on waiting for the sweet light, too. I do have to agree with Marina though, the close branches creates a very distracting backdrop. I think you could have used a bit more -EV, maybe down to -1EV as the whites seem a bit hot on my monitor.

Miguel

Colin Gilyeat
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Marina, thanks for the comments. Fortunately it was sunny day and not very cold (mid 40's), and talking to a fellow photographer helped to pass the time. I agree about the branches being a distraction, but this was one of those situations where you have to live with what you have for the environment. I have number of other shots, but I think they all have the same problem with the backgound.

From a PP perspective, I'm wondering if blurring the background would make the branches a little distractring.

Colin