PDA

View Full Version : Elephant vs Lion

Andreas Liedmann
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi folks ,
nobody wants to post, so i throw another image in the ring.
Coming from colder areas , now dug out an older one from a warmer area.
Image taken at a waterhole in Etosha, pride of lions was hanging out , after a meal, doing nothing.This elephant slowly approached the scene , as soon as he recognized the lions , he stopped and tried to chase them away.With more or less success .
The lions moved slowly out of his way.

Canon EOS 1D MK III
EF 2,8 70-200 IS L at 125 mm
HH

F8 ; ISO 200; 1/ 500 sec

Processed in RPP and PS; cropped to pano for composition, 80% of FF in horizontal,levels , curves with lumo masks , LCE, LAB color

Thanx for watching and leaving a comment

Cheers Andreas

Tom Graham
02-21-2013, 02:21 AM
I would find it more involving if the lion were facing the ele. As it is, I wonder what they both are looking at off to right.
Color etc looks good to me - expect- for the sky which I see as having a strong cyan cast.
Tom

Brendon Cremer
02-21-2013, 03:02 AM
Great image Andreas, typical of an elephants intimidation tactics and the lions almost unconcerned demeanour, usually lions will just walk away with little concern for the elephant un less it really charges. I like the colours and tones in the animals and the land area, Agree with Tom abou the strong Cyan cast in the sky.

Rachel Hollander
02-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi Andreas - always nice to see multiple species in an image. I agree with Brendon that the lion looks very nonchalant and unconcerned by the elephant. I also agree about the color of the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks folks , you are 100 % right about the cast, should have noticed it.

Maybe i processed too many seal images in the past months , that i forgot how a blue sky should look like .:bg3:

Here is a RP , i hope problem is solved.

Cheers Andreas

Tom Graham
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Sky is better, it's ok. But think I'd try a bit more magenta in it. And perhaps darken it slightly.
And FWIW, after I process an image for posting I don't post it then but leave it over night. Almost always when I look at it again I find something I think needs changing.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
typical of an elephants intimidation tactics and the lions almost unconcerned demeanour, usually lions will just walk away with little concern for the elephant un less it really charges.

Hi Andreas, RP is better, and I agree with Brendon, he summed it up well.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Hi Andreas,
lovely image, as usual lions do not care much when they are bored/rest :w3
I agree with the sky, I would try with my fiddle knowledge to let it pop/saturate/vibrance/more bluish a bit.
With leaving the image over night, as Tom suggested, oh he is so right. I try to make this a habit right now. Since colors & much more look totally different when you come back a few hours later to that image. Give it a try, I highly recommend it, since our eyes always adjust and sometimes it seems to me they just "see" what we want to see! :bg3: Just a suggestion

Ciao
Anette

Andreas Liedmann
02-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi Anette and Steve,
thanks for leaving a comment.

Anette - i will leave sky as is, maybe i will reduce the cyan a bit more , but will not push it more to the blue or magenta or whats or ever color, simply it represents the "ETOSHA" pale sky color from my memory.

Thanks Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
02-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Nice natural moment here Andreas.
I agree it would have been better had they faced each other, and even if the lioness was in a "walking" pose with a foot up?
Repost sky is better IMHO.
Hard light nicely handled for my taste.
:5

Shreyas Mantri
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Sweet shot, Andreas! Etosha light handled nicely. Late afternoon, I presume?
Repost does the job for me.
TFS