PDA

View Full Version : Lady BUg

Dave Leroy
02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
From last September. Photo was underexposed by about 3/4 stop. The grass stem was on an angle and I cropped a bit to get diagonal.
5DIII, 100mm, 400ISO, f/4.0, 1/125 and probably on a tripod.

Jonathan Ashton
02-20-2013, 04:31 AM
An unusual image, I like the composition and the colours, the exposure looks good also. Your plane of focus is good but my opinion is the DOF is too narrow, I think somewhere around f11 would have been ideal, i.e. the legs and wing casing would have been in better focus, the underside surface of the blade of grass would have been just a little more discernible though still pleasantly OOF. Certainly worthwhile attempting a repeat as and when the opportunity arises, I have tried similar shots myself but have yet to get one I am really happy with.

Dave Leroy
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks Jonathan. I did not want to say anything but I was also thought focus or dof was not quite up to snuff. However like you say.. next time. I did really like the colors and the blade of grass so thought I would post and see what came of it.

Bob Miller
02-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Dave ...I too like the composition on this....agree that DOF needs improvement but it doesn't seem you had alot of light to work with.

Dave Leroy
02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks Bob and good point. Now that I am more comfortable with the 5DIII I would go to 1600ISO which would be two stops. So that would get to f/8 which would still help with dof.
From my recollection the little bug was moving and I was trying to keep up or anticipate. A combination of dof and accurate focus I guess.
Thanks for your input.

Steve Maxson
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi Dave. Very nice comp, exposure, and background. I would agree that more DOF would put this image over the top!