PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Bird #4 - Dark-eyed Junco

Bill Dix
02-18-2013, 03:35 PM
During yesterday's Great Backyard Bird Count I had 15 species around my feeders in a 30-minute counting period. I don't think I'll beat that today. That included 12 of these Dark-eyed Juncos grazing in the back yard. But this image was made about two weeks ago during a snow storm. [On that day, the AF or VR on my lens began to malfunction after I tried stacking the 1.4 TC and the 25mm ext. tube.. From that point on, most of the images that day seemed to show some vibration, and it took several days thereafter for it to set itself right. But to my eye this one seems OK.]

D7000, 500f4, ISO 1600, 1/320s @ f/6.3 manual

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Bill I like the falling snow here as well as the snowy perch. At first I wasnt crazy about the pose but it started to grow on me.

Alan Murphy
02-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Nice detail and comp. The falling snow is nice too. Wish for eye contact.

jack williamson
02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Very nicely exposed Junco, head turn this way would have been better. Like the falling snow and love the BG. I am enjoying your backyard series.

Shawn Zierman
02-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Lighting: Love it. Nice wintery airy light, and the falling snow is a great feature to the image.
Subject pose: Really good, particularly the body, tail, and feet positioning. Head angle could be better as already mentioned.
Composition: Very nice.

Karl Egressy
02-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Excellent detail and composition, Bill. The snow fall adds interest. I wish for a little head turn towards us.

Daniel Cadieux
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Techs, perch, BG, snowfall all look good. I just would have preferred a better head angle. Glad to hear your lens straightened itself out...that must have been disconcerting!

David Salem
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Man,your back yard is producing some great stuff. Like everything about this one except wish for a better HA. Techs are very nice and the falling snow adds to the wintery feel. Nice wok in the back yard. Whats next?

Jim Crosswell
02-19-2013, 05:21 PM
I like the falling snow, details, exposure and composition. Better HA would be an improvement. Well done Bill.

Bill Dix
02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I had hoped that since his head was slightly cocked, and focused on the stem (reinforcing the diagonal line), that might obviate the need for eye contact. But there seems to be almost unanimous desire among you for better HA, so I'll go back to the drawing boards. I appreciate all the comments. I agree that some eye contact is always better than none.