PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Gey Fantail

PhilCook
02-18-2013, 06:04 AM
Quite common in outer suburbia into the rural regions, like many Oz bird photographers I have lots of shots of this fairly easy species, but a bird that never sits still for more than a nano second. This one coming in for a drink at an old dam not far from home, and always worth a shot when they co operate. Not the most ideal of spots for a great image, and the backdrop is the bank of the muddy dam and some dead bushes, rocks etc

Canon 7D + 500 f4 + 1.4 x TC....700mm, f7.1, 1/1000, ISO400, basic edit with slight crop, selective sharpen and noise reduction to backdrop....taken from withing a temporary hide at a distance of approx 25 feet

gail bisson
02-18-2013, 06:15 AM
This is really nice Phil.
Lovely BG color and great light.
I really like the eye and the wind blown feathers on the top of the head.
Comp is good but might add a sliver more to the left hand side.
A really nice shot,
Gail

Karl Egressy
02-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice shot, Phil. The background is excellent so is the pose captured.

Shawn Zierman
02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
That's long tailed little sprite! Cute bird and a very nice image. I like the background control here.
A little fill flash was worth considering at the time of capture, just to even out the light....unless ethically opposed of course.

Stu Bowie
02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Phil, cool curved perch, and I feel you have brought out the detail very well. The long tail was the first thing that I noticed, and it looks great against the smooth BG. Great eye.

Randy Stout
02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Phil:

Cute bird, like the curved perch. Agree with Shawn about a bit of fill. I do a post processing fill in light room with the shadows slider, and found it a sig. improvement to my eye. Give it a whirl.

Cheers

Randy

Satish Ranadive
02-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Phil:
Fabulous image.Great color scheme.
Nice looking bird with nice pose,good that tail is parallel to censor,nice diagonal perch and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Greg Oakley
02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Very nice image Phil - these guys may be common, but they are very difficult to shoot well!
Cheers Greg

David Salem
02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Nice shot of this cute little guy. Techs look great and the feather detail is perfect. Love the little feathers on top of the head. Very pleasing image.