PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter

Brendon Cremer
02-18-2013, 05:07 AM
A leopardess moves through the night with intent in her eyes, she has cubs to feed and need to make a kill.Image captured at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa.

Camera NIKON D3
Focal Length 220mm
Shutter Speed 1/60 sec
Aperture f/5
ISO/Film 1000

Rachel Hollander
02-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi Brendon - this works very well IMHO. The bit of blur in the legs adds to it. Is this moonlight or was the spot only from another vehicle? I think the lighting is very effective and clearly did not disturb her at all.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
02-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi Brendon,
like Rachel i would say this is working quite well.Sharp head the rest blurred, well done.

I do not think this natural light!!!!

Only thing is the cut off tail , that is kind of disturbing, there for too tight on LHS.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
02-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Hi Brendon, well the flash didn't go off, so I guess it's a spot. I see you dropped the EV to -0.67 to help the BKG I assume? Actually I quite like the way it's lit, but agree that having the tail 'in sight' would have been nice.

Ideal situation to use the 200-400 for the walking leopard here.

TFS
Steve

Brendon Cremer
02-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks very much guys, yes indeed the light source was a spotlight being shone from another vehicle, i alway prefer this where ever possible it make the lighting so much more interesting. Agreed the inclusion of the tail would have been better, i will see if i have another image with it in.

Tom Graham
02-21-2013, 02:34 AM
The "missing" tail does not bother me. Because the light is fading much darker alone its body, the rear legs and rump being very dark. It makes image sense to me that its tail has been "lost" in the darkness. Also, if the tail were visible the image would have to be overall larger which means its head and eye, that grabs our attention, would be smaller
Tom

Craig Kerr
02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
I like the blurred movement in the front paw with the face beautifully sharp, minimal light puts the image in a different class.

Morkel Erasmus
02-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Exceptional lighting and mood, bud.
Clipped tail not a biggie here.
Great work (congrats for having it on EarthShots too :5)

Shreyas Mantri
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Love the "emerging" pose. Excellent shot, Brendon!