PDA

View Full Version : Chienbäse

Peter Kes
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
This time of year, the Basel area is in Fasnacht mode. As part of a local city custom, the city of Liestal in Switzerland organizes the 'Chienbäse'-procession. A Chienbäse is cart or a bundle of wood, set on fire. These carts and bundles are carried through the city in a procession. The intention of this procession is to break the power of winter and drive winter away. A bundle is carried by one person and could weigh upto 70kg: the most spectacular parts of the procession are the carts. They can carry as much as 4m3 of burning wood, often creating flames as high as 10meters. I will try and give an impression of one of these carts going through town in a follow up post. This post is a closeup of one of these large carts. I was app. 2 meters away from this inferno. My face was basically protected by my camera: the heat literally burns the skin.

Canon 1D, 24-105mm@67mm, 1/640s, f/4, ISO250

Rachel Hollander
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi Peter - I found myself staring at this a bit as it is captivating much like the flames of a fire. At first I thought you had shot it from above with the logs standing up in some manner. The sharpness and fast ss seem to work here though I wonder if you experimented at all with slower ss. I might be inclined to crop tighter to eliminate the dark areas of the ulc to create a wall of only logs and flames.

TFS,
Rachel

Peter Kes
02-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Hi Rachel, thanks. I was just preparing my follow up post. What you see is the left side of the fire-cart, I am sitting on the ground. I did create a number of images with 1/40-1/60, but the fire washes out. Also, at the close range I was at, it was a matter of taking an image and turn my back to the fire: many images at slower speeds turned out blurry. I was wearing a leather jacket to protect me from getting burnt, but the back of my my legs (jeans...) were getting a serious warmup. This image was one of a few at higher shutter speeds and popped out immediately. This image is out of camera, no cropping. I left it that way. Wait for the next post and you will get a picture of where I was :)

Anette Mossbacher
02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Hi Peter,

great image, I like it very much. I didn't know that Basel does such thing at Fastnacht. Very interesting :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Jerry van Dijk
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
This is a very nice capture. I like the 'frozen' flames at this shutter speed, and you did a great job with the exposure of what seems to me a difficult scene to capture (even without the scorching heat!). I agree that the empty black area in the UL corner weakens the concept of this image and should be cropped off.

Ron Bernstein
02-20-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't have anything new to add, but want to also congratulate you on creating an image that makes
me think I'm staring into a fire. Agree strongly with cropping out the black area on the left. Well done!

James Fuller
05-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Very artistic/abstract shot here Peter! To me, it looks as if you are looking down into the flames. Definitely an interesting shot.

Diane Miller
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I've tried to shoot campfires before and the exposure range was always too much to salvage -- great job here! I feel like I'm right there.