PDA

View Full Version : Green Sea Turtle

Anette Mossbacher
02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
MK III
ISO 500 EF 70-200mm
f/5.0 1/400
Time: 6am

The sun was still under the horizon when I took this image in Borneo at a beach. This turtle had laid her eggs during the night and was on her way back to the ocean.
Done on the image: ACR, Levels, Curves, tonal contrast, Local contrast enhancement, sharpening

Rachel Hollander
02-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi Anette - I like this one a lot. The comp works for me and sharpness looks good. Only thing I am wondering about is the color, seems a little yellow to me but you were there.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi Anette, lovely POV and the crop/format works, getting that eye level contact just works.

Taking Rachel's point about it being a tad yellow, and your point about the sun, do you think you can push it a bit more to achieve that lovely warm, soft look & feel? I'm not 100% sure about the LCE, but that's just me, I just wonder if it might be better without it? You might want to explore more with Curves which can add a bit more oomph to the image, but your call.

Again, nice to see a different subject. Hope you are feeling better.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks a lot Rachel and Steve.

Here a repost.
Rachel I took this image early morning before the sun was above the horizon, still down. The colors have been like this.
I tried to warm it up a bit, hope it worked out okay like this. More I do not want to add on warmth, otherwise it looks quite a bit to much over the top.
The LCE I took out Steve :w3

Thanks a lot you 2 :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
OK Anette, looking at the two side by side, the OP is quite cool/blueness, the RP is certainly warmer, but I think the Red is running a bit stronger now, so somewhere between the two perhaps? But remember, this is just my thoughts, others will hopefully add theirs so no hurry, just assess the comments, then decide. I think the LCE crisped up the image, so keep it in on reflection. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
02-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi Anette,
like the fact you post a rarely seen animal here.
Great POV, would go for a 16:9 format losing some of the FG, think there is not enough tonal range in the turtle, i would tame the highlights in the sand and the subject.

Watch for the red channel is completely blown in the highlight areas.

Will try an RP , maybe later.

Still a nice one , TFS Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi anette, just a quick one what i was thinking, tamed the red channel, and the image becomes a bit warmer , even more than your RP, just my take.

WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Will be interested to see Anette's thoughts, as this is bang on to mine train of thoughts, :S3: although I like her crop with more FG.

Anette Mossbacher
02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
:bg3::Whoa!:

wow, well the Pano takes a bit of the steep beach. It was quite steep and I had to hurry down since those turtles are pretty fast to get back into the ocean.
Andreas it looks for me quite a bit to much warm. Also a bit harsh. Now I will fiddle again with this image :bg3:
In your RP Andreas the highlights are a bit to much, well you have not the RAW, so mercy for you, lololol :t3

Steve you better have your 10 bags packed by now :wave:

I will check what I can do for a repost. That is really interesting, love it.:w3

Brendon Cremer
02-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Really like the last RP, it works very well. much improved comp with less FG, colours and depth also better, great image and great advice offered.

Anette Mossbacher
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks so much for all your input and suggestions. I highly appreciate it and I am very thankful for it.
I have been fiddling a bit more and come up with this RP. For me it doesn't look than so harsh anymore. Andrea's RP looks to me quite a bit harsh.
WDYT ?

Andreas Liedmann
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Anette,
do not understand harsh , harsh in what context ?
Could you please clarify.

I adjusted brightness in the individual channels., nothing more

Cheers Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Hi Andreas,

with harsh I mean the turtle looks a sort of "hard" or maybe to contrasty in my eyes. Sunrise light is for me when the sun comes up and did not hit the horizon yet a soft light. Especially in Asia.
When I see now my RP in this website, which the turtle itself looks in my PS quite a bit different, more softer in overall.
So with harsh I mean just the opposite of soft!
For me a turtle is not quite fragile but in these days it should be seen like fragile, being listed as endangered!
That's my reason that I would like to have the light a bit more softer.

Thanks so much Andreas should have used another word instead of harsh. I do know in English it sounds pretty hard, sorry for that. Was not my intention that it sounds that way :tinysmile_shy_t:

Andreas Liedmann
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Ok, thanks for clarification, i think we are in the same boat, language wise sometimes ........:t3

Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Lovely low angle here Anette. Sorry for being late on this one...was away for a bit with the family :w3
Your last repost works best for me.
Must be a sight to see these!