PDA

View Full Version : Snow Glider - Canada goose in snow flurry

Randy Stout
02-16-2013, 08:45 PM
A second image from yesterday am. Not quite as dramatic of pose as the mallard hen, but liked the background, sense of 3D effect, and of course, the snow.

D4 500mm AFS f/4 @f/6.3 1/2500s ISO 1000 hand held

Post: 20% crop for comp, selective sharpening, localized contrast adjustments on the bird

Advice and comments always appreciated. I tried it with and without the snow at the bottom. Thoughts?

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Not as good as the mallard but nevertheless a very pleasing winter image, Randy. You are really hitting some home runs with these and I am enjoying viewing them.

Arthur Morris
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Like the falling snow, the trees, and the SH. I'd prefer just a small strip of snow at the bottom and a crop from our left. Love the far wing position but not the near wing position.

Diane Miller
02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Wish there wasn't such a sudden line demarcating the very bright snow. I'd crop it to just include the tan area at the base of the trees, or find a way to darken the snow and balance it to the color of that tan strip.

But that's nitpicking -- I love the bird and the setting -- the snow and ghostly hint of trees is gorgeous!!

Shawn Zierman
02-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Love the atmosphere with the falling snow...gorgeous!
Sweet background. Another suggestion would be to give the
image just a bit of ccw rotation to level the ground/snow line.

Randy Stout
02-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Here is a slightly revisioned version.

Further slight crop from left (had done some originally)

Added canvas below

Yeah or neah vs the original?

Thanks as always!

Cheers

Randy

Miguel Palaviccini
02-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Randy,

I think the repost is just about perfect. The snow, both the in focus and oof spots, really add a lot to an already great image!

Miguel

Stu Bowie
02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Hi Randy, I really like how the goose pops from the BG, good DOF on him, and well exposed. Of course the falling snow adds, and I do like what you have done in your repost - works for me. :w3

Diane Miller
02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Yes!!

Bill Dix
02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I'll agree the Mallard hen was more compelling, but this has a really lovely feel to it. I particularly like the uplight on the bird. I was going to second Artie's suggestion of a slivver of snow, but seeing the repost, it works very nicely for me.