PDA

View Full Version : TC Optics

Ed Vatza
04-29-2008, 04:30 AM
I am relatively new into macro photography and am thinking about adding a teleconverter to the arsenal. I have the "pro quality" Kenko 1.4x TC now. My camera body is Canon and my macro lenses are Sigma (70mm and 150mm) while my other lenses are Canon L's (24-70; 70-200; 400 f/5.6). Enough background I think.

I was talking to one of the reps from B&H yesterday and he flat out recommended the Sigma over the Kenko (these were the two I specifically asked about) because, he said, the Sigma would have better image quality.

I was originally thinking about sticking with the Kenko. But now I am wondering whether I should go with the Sigma 1.4x? Or should I just go with the Canon 1.4x and be done with it? I know I can just put the Kenko on and see if I am happy with it but I am looking for the opinions of folks out there with much more TC experience (particularly for macro work) than I have.

Thanks.

Alfred Forns
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Ed is you are using Canon my recommendation is to go with the Canon Converters Would not recommend any other !!!

I like the saying similar is different and different is not the same !!!! One interesting point I do like macro a lot and my macro lens is the only off brand lens. I use the Sigma 150 2.8 with the Sigma converter. The Nikon will not fit that lens. One sharp lens !!!

Robert O'Toole
04-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Agree with Alfred on the Canon Extenders. They are worth the extra $100 for the weather sealing, good IQ, and high resale value.

Go with Canon Ed.

Robert

Sandra Corless
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
If you are using it on your Sigma 150 it must be the Sigma because the Canon will not work.

Robert O'Toole
04-30-2008, 09:22 PM
You have a point there Sandra I forgot about that actually, you cannot use the Canon Extenders with a bare lens, BUT, you can use them as I have for ages with an EF12 or EF25 Canon Extension tube. :) But you will lose AF :(

Lens // Extension tube // Extender // Body.

Robert