PDA

View Full Version : First Post Snowy Owl

Mitchell Kranz
02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
This is my first addition here. I love this forum for its openness
I have been working with one snowy owl in particular over the last month or so. I have baited her several times each trip.
At first she was just as flighty as the others and I could barely get out of my vehicle. She is now so confortable of me she often comes within 10 feet to grab the bait before I can even back off.

Here are a few of my favourites of her from the past month
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/44336_487131554684347_445347387_n.jpg

Lastly here is a crop I liked of her portrait

I did some work to it using Cs6 and recently made front page on 500px with this, one of my best

Canon 50d, 55-250mm lens, Baited
Alberta, Canada

arash_hazeghi
02-16-2013, 01:54 AM
welcome to the avian forum Mitchel, you found the right place for getting great feedback.

Per forum policy only one photograph is allowed per post. You can post the rest in separate threads. Images that have been modified with Photoshop art filters should be posted in OOTB forum.

This is a handsome looking bird, good exposure. I wish the sun was directly behind you for a more even lighting and the owl had a slight head turn towards the viewer. I would consider a vertical crops here and since you baited the owl you could set up a more attractive perch. you can enhance the image with slightly more sharpening.

I like those talons.

Welcome and looking forward to more

Stu Bowie
02-16-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi Mitchell, a big welcome to BPN, and to the avian forum - lots to share and learn. I like the concentrated stare, exposure, and the two tone BG. I agree with Arash regarding the light and sharpening. Comp wise, as is, if you have more space, I would add to the top and bottom, but as Arash stated, a vertical will work too. Please post the rest of your techs, shutter speed and aperture - that also helps with a better critique. :w3

Gary Esman
02-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Welcome to BPN! I agree with the sharpening with certainly bring the image up a notch. I like the side lighting here. It is something different we do not see much. Vertical on this would be great with a little more room on the top and bottom. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Gary.

Satish Ranadive
02-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Hello!Mitchell:
Welcome to BPN.
Beautiful post to start with.Here is modified image. Added the canvas on top and bottom, sharpened and recomposed to vertical.
There is halo around the bird on the left side,that can be worked in RAW file.I hope you will like it and you won't mind.

Regards,
Satish.

Diane Miller
02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Very pleasing rework, Satish. More room where needed, areas where nothing is happening cropped.

What does one use to bait owls? Live mice, or just meat?

Matthew Studebaker
02-16-2013, 11:48 AM
beautiful background. Interesting pose. I agree more room above and below, even if you keep it as a horizontal.

Miguel Palaviccini
02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Mitchell,

A very nice first post! I would take the advice mentioned above to make this great image even better. Congrats on getting it up there on 500 px!

Hope to see more from you :)

Miguel