PDA

View Full Version : For Randy....

Grace Scalzo
02-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Taking good care of your loons till they return to you shortly. Far less dramatic in their winter plumage, but stunningly beautiful in a quiet way. That is what I am trying to portray with my picture.
I had to tame a few hot spots on the face, did a slight rotation, and eliminated one catchlight, although I debated on whether to do that.

Canon 1Dx 500f4 1.4tc ground pod
1/1600, f 5.6, iso800

Randy Stout
02-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks Grace:

I love them in all their plumages. The image does evoke a feeling of calm, serenity. Smooth water. nice bow wake.

I decide on the double catchlight on a case by case basis. If it makes the eye less sharp looking, I will remove it, otherwise leave it.

Thanks for the teaser. I was working on my loon photo schedule this very day!

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
02-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Very sweet and very peaceful. Correct me if I am wrong but this surely looks like a bird of the year rather than adult winter (non-breeding). Where were you able to get so low with the calm water?

dankearl
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
That is some really calm water you have and a really pleasant image.
I think an even more pano crop with some off the top would look nice.

Nick Palmieri
02-14-2013, 10:13 PM
The calm water really adds a lot. Bird looks sharp and exposed well. Captured at a nice low angle.

PhilCook
02-15-2013, 02:45 AM
Silky smooth...sweet shot Grace, love the satin finished water texture and reflection.......cant decide on the crop, but I may lean towards cropping a bit more from the top

gail bisson
02-15-2013, 05:44 AM
This is beautiful Grace.
Love the low POV and the stillness. IQ is superb.
I like the comp as is but there are many options with an image like this.
Gail

Randy Stout
02-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Very sweet and very peaceful. Correct me if I am wrong but this surely looks like a bird of the year rather than adult winter (non-breeding). Where were you able to get so low with the calm water?

Artie:

I believe you are right. The total absence of any necklace, and the slight eye ring present, suggests its from this year.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Wow, I am loving everything about this image!! Calm water, perfect wake in front of the subject, and techs / processing look top-notch. Love the comp as-is too.

David Salem
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Very nice Grace. I love the smooth water and the wake breaking it up. The loon looks so sleek riding low in the water. Techs look great and lots of detail. Nice work. Stay warm:)

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Just lovely! calm water, its colour, sharpness and bird makes for a winner image! TFS Grace!

Tim King
02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Whoa!! Can I have this one?:bg3: Beautiful photo, Grace. Flawless.