PDA

View Full Version : The Green River

Jeffrey Sipress
04-28-2008, 11:44 PM
I am pretty happy to come home from this past weeks trip to Utah with this one. The Green River flowing through Canyonlands NP. I spent days waiting for some decent conditions. This was made on the White Rim Road, a 100 mile 4x4 trail requiring some degree of offroad driving skills.

This just says American Southwest to me.

Canon 1Ds III, 24-105L

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/greenriver1.jpg

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Lovely composition Jefferey and I love the Dof in this image as well as the magnificent lighting. Fine work. The vertical works so well as the river carries the eye right through to the mountains in the background. Thanks for sharing.

Leroy Laverman
04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
I like the composition. The red channel looks blown out to me, especially in the vertical rocks in the background. Maybe a problem in converting color space to sRGB? I tried to pull back the saturation in the reds and add more contrast in the sky but this would be better accomplished with the original file.

Roman Kurywczak
04-29-2008, 08:57 AM
HI Jeffrey,
Leroy, hard to believe but at sunset.....the reds do get pretty close to what was presented by Jeffrey. I do like the sky contrast you added. Nice curved leading line Jeffrey. Very nice shot overall!
Roman
PS The gap in the rock wall makes it for me.

Robert Amoruso
04-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Well seen composition Jeffrey for the reasons mentioned - river is great leading line and the rock gap continues to draw the eye to the BG. Nice work.

Gayle Clement
04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Very beautiful work, Jeffery. The line of the river and the reflection are both really special.

Jeffrey Sipress
04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks, everyone. I am with Roman about the light. I'm sorry Leroy, but you took the life out of my image! I know it's so subjective and dependent on monitors, conditions, and internet display, but I worked for many hours to carefully manage that intensity of color and light, and balance the tonalities of the whole image. Yes, it is close to the acceptable edge, but it works and it is real. I was just standing there a few days ago!!

EDIT: I'm sorry, Leroy, your version is not bad as I had said. Still a good one. I'm just still very much in the emotional state of that place.....

Michael Pancier
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
my next stop sometime soon. amazing scenery indeed.

Phil Colla
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I can see why you are so happy with it, great Southwest elements all in a single image, well done.

Rich Ikerd
05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Exceptional image Jeffrey. The deep reds really capture how that light can look in the canyons. It may look over-saturated for someone that hasn't seen them, but your image reflects reality. The composition is stellar as well, with the river leading you right to the cut in the distance cliffs. Nicely done.