PDA

View Full Version : Girl Trouble !?

Shreyas Mantri
02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
....hope none of us had that today :bg3: Happy Valentine's Day all!

A skirmish for dominance between the 2 brothers initiated by the lioness. There was a kill made earlier in the day that I missed, and I was hoping to get "something" after a wait of 4 hrs at this spot. And I was glad I waited!

Canon 7D, Manual, Canon 300 II + 2x III, f/5.6, @ 1/1250s, ISO 400; Shot in late afternoon light.

Comments appreciated!

Rachel Hollander
02-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi Shreyas - great action and I really like that you can see the face of the one male. Not the best view of the other male but the action makes up for it. Colors of Etosha look good and the kicked up dust adds to the scene. Overall, very nicely done.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi Shreyas, it works for me and good call on waiting. Crop works well and I like that there is space on the LHS for the female to flee into. Having the dust too is a nice touch churned up from the escaping female.

Regarding the image I would suggest just tweaking the Levels either side, add a 30% Luminosity layer to bring some richness in, and a mid tone Curves adjustment, as combined, it really punches the whole depth of the image up nicely, giving more form & structure to the subjects. A fraction more USM can also help, but personal preference.

If you are a little lost on where the direction is going on the suggestions, let me know I can RP my thoughts.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
02-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi Shreyas,

great acton shot of this lions. For me the overall image is a bit to light, but that is just me! When I read Steve's suggestions and IF I get them right the light I am talking about might be solved.
Great image :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
02-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi Shreyas,
like this action shot of the lions.comp is working , but i would loose some of top and LHS, still leaving enough room to the lioness.

I mage looks a bit light , would push mid tone contrast in the lions , think that would help to give the image more depth, and reduce the overall brightness a touch.

TFS Andreas

Shreyas Mantri
02-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks to all for your input.
Going by your suggestions, here's another take to the image. WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
02-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Hi Shreyas, I think you are going in the right direction and a good improvement IMHO from the OP. Perhaps a slight increase in saturation to help the FG, not much 5-10 might do it, but again personal taste? Levels with say 10, 1 246 might just add a bit more pop, again optional. If you can, explore Curves more, it's a powerful tool in your kit box and minor adjustments really do make a big difference. :S3:

Keep up the good work and really appreciate your participation in other threads. :cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Fab action here Shreyas!
Having the rear-facing male in a more pleasing position would have been first prize, but I would be happy with this in my collection. Kudos on having the patience to wait it out. :5
Repost is an improvement...