PDA

View Full Version : Africa in the mist

Gavin Slabbert
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
A general scene with wildebeest, Birchells Zebra, and a giraffe in the morning mist.

Opinions on cropping and post work ware most welcome, though I think that a tighter crop still showing the mist is in order (now that I look at it online :)
Considering turning this into a puzzle ..

Canon 1DX, 70-200f/2.8, 1/160sec, f/2.8, EV-0.33 ISO200

Gavin

Alison McCoy
02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Beautiful shot and you were so lucky to get three different species in the shot. Personally I would crop more of the foreground.

Steve Kaluski
02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi Gavin, please can you add the EXIF when posting, I will add it into your intro, plus the file has an untagged profile again, I bet it's two boxes you have left unchecked? :S3:

I will drop you a PM to see if we can resolve this. :w3

Steve Kaluski
02-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi Gavin, looks like this was the gathering for the Arc with the diverse animals you have in your shot. :bg3:

Converting from your OP to sRGB mean there isn't a huge/big colour shift so I like the setting and atmosphere, with the early morning mist. Not much you can do with the sky, but agree on loosing a chunk of FG. Using a 16 x 9 crop with some sky and less FG I think could be another option to, although you might wish to clone the fragments of bush that enters into frame. I would also suggest cropping through the centre of the tree on the LHS as it gives a nice edge, but again, just a personal take. Just watch your SS, even with just a short lens, with the 1DX even ISO 400 looks like 200, so you can afford to push things, high ISO is not an issue with this camera. You could apply some Curves adjustment to the BKG bushes and then go the opposite way just to lighten the Wildebeest. I might also think about adding more sharpening too.

TFS
Steve