Canon EOS1Dmk3 300 f2.8 IS USM
1/3200
f5.6
ISO640

Captive lynx at feeding time,
post process =Nik tonal contrast, cropped and sharpend

Steve Kaluski
02-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi Ian, these are fantastic animals and to get close to them whether it's captive or wild is a privilege. Was this with Wild Arena?

Firstly, even at feeding time with any action, I thing you could have dropped your ISO to reduce the SS, to me, everything is a little high, but guess you didn't want to miss anything. :bg3: With the conditions being so bright, with the surrounding snow, I would have suggested dropping the EV comp, perhaps -1/3, as based on the image everything thing looks a little thin as an image. Reducing the yellow cast in the overall image helps, both in the snow and the subject. I would also suggest compressing the Levels histogram at either end and apply say a 50% luminosity blend over the subject just to help the highlights & give a bit more body to the subject, plus some mid tone. A curves adjustment will also help, especially for the snow I thing, just brings out a bit more definition and shows the undulations. I think also you could afford to crop some off the LHS to, a little too much space I think. Perhaps bolting on the 1.4 converter would have given you a tighter option?

Ian our limit here is 250kb for the file size, yours is only 102kb so you are loosing image quality, plus your file is RGB not sRGB for web presentation. To give your images the best presentation you need to convert your file for web to this format. There is a link on how to do this in the opening Wildlife page in the Stickies section.

This is not great, but it might help you, obviously having a better image or RAW would hopefully bring out the potential in the image. Always helps to add more info in the intro section so we can give better feedback.

cheers
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Ah my favorite animal, great action shot Ian. Love it.
I would bring out more the of the cat, contrast...etc., like Steve did. But in Steve's RP I think there is a bit to much color red involved, unless in the UK the Lynx are more reddish! :bg3: Or it is just me, which I assume mostly :bg3:
Here in Swissyland they are not!
Love the action shot

Ian Roy
02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi
Just want to say thank you for the replies to my post. I take on board what you were saying about the image being a bit washed.I did produce a couple of images in post, some edging towards your repost Steve, but i did like the effect of the snow being completely shot out..Tnx for the info on the info on the file size
cheers
Ian

Steve Kaluski
02-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi Ian, best I think to add, as I said, as much info as possible about the shot and where you are going in your thinking about the image, as it will us and you. Quite often we have to second guess. The more you post, plus, just as crucial, replies to other threads, this will build on the Community and for us to get to know you too.

Look forward to more.

cheers

Steve
PS IF in doubt, shout, we are ALL here to help one another and most in Wildlife don't bite :w3

Andreas Liedmann
02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Hi Ian,
great action shot of this wonderful species,

Good timing to get the shot and nicely exposed.

The snow is way too yellow in OP and not enough detail to see for my eyes.

Took the chance to solve this problem, hopefully.

TFS Andreas