PDA

View Full Version : The Last Snowy.

dankearl
02-12-2013, 08:43 PM
At least for this year on the Oregon Coast and maybe for years now.
I took this through the Dune grass, trying not to disturb the last remaining Snowy Owl at the Columbia South Jetty.
I liked the lonely "big picture" look.

1/2000, f6.3, iso640, 600mm, D800, HH

DSC_4761bp5.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124818&stc=1&d=1360719706)

Nick Palmieri
02-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I like the composition and the inclusion of the environment. Bit of a purple fringe along the edge of the grasses and the tips of the longer grasses...maybe from jpeg compression???

Randy Stout
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Dan:

Very effective environmental image, and it does have a sense of isolation/loneliness. The placement of the birds head against the taller background plants works well, it would not have been as good, partly against the sky.

I would consider cleaning up the white line beneath the bird on the perch.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I like the setting, composition and overall feel of the image. Well done Dan.

Loi Nguyen
02-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Dan, snowy owls are owl. I have not seen one yet, so naturally I'm envious. Great exposure, Good light. Environment is good, but I would have liked a tighter crop to show the eyes better.

dankearl
02-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Loi, thanks for the comment.
I have a bunch of really close up Snowy Owl photos, I have photographed them many times.
I think this is my favorite photo and the only one I might print.
This is how I always see them, walking up and wondering how close I can get?
This is probably the perfect distance for me, far enough away to get a photo and not too close to
invade their space.
I have invaded their space many times, they don't seem to mind, but this is probably a respectful distance
to the most spectacular bird (in my opinion) and really close enough.

David Salem
02-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Nice shot Dan and I like the respect you have for your owls. I would love to have the opportunity some day to see one. Sounds like you are worried about the likelihood of the owls coming back next year. As you know these guys are very cyclic as is their food source.
See what happens, but for now be very happy for the time you have had with these beautiful creatures, your lucky. I think it will make a great print.

Uri First
02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
liked the atmosphere. well done

Sandy Witvoet
02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Lovely.... conveys "loneliness"...way appreciate your respect for these beauties. It is very close to time for them to head back to the Tundra.

Karl Egressy
02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
The Owl looks kind of sad. Like the invironment and composition, Dan.