PDA

View Full Version : Finding the subject with a long lens

Diane Miller
02-12-2013, 02:22 PM
<p>
I&rsquo;ve always had trouble finding a subject with a long lens, even if pre-focused close enough to see it. With a shorter lens such as my 300 I can use the two-eye method, but with my new 600 my eyes aren&rsquo;t far enough apart. I&rsquo;d wondered in an earlier post if there was something like a gun sight to mount in the hot shoe to give a wider view, but now I&rsquo;ve solved the problem simply and inexpensively (in cost, size and weight).</p>
<p>
I already had a two-axis hot shoe bubble level (Lens Coat, $20)</p>
<p>
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&amp;sku=684434&amp;Q=&amp;is=REG&amp;A=details)</p>
<p>
and when I put it on with the long axis vertical I can sight along just below the top of it to the top center of the lens hood and I&rsquo;m right on the subject, even with a 1.4X or 2X. If I&rsquo;ve grabbed the camera and not taken time to put on the lens hood, putting the level on with the long axis horizontal is the perfect height. To good to be true! It&rsquo;s just a little too tall, and I&rsquo;m thinking of grinding it down, but I can come close enough by sighting along the top line of the bubble, as shown here.</p>
<p>
This isn&rsquo;t ideal for birds in flight, because I need to move my eye to the viewfinder, but it gets me close, and it&rsquo;s great for the ones in the bush.</p>

James Shadle
02-12-2013, 10:43 PM
I like a level for portraits.
For action with a long lens I take it off.

This is what works for me. When tracking or locating a subject I keep my eye just above the viewfinder as I move the lens.
Once you have your subject, you should be able to put lower your eye to the viewfinder as you slightly raise the lens.
You should be on or at least very close to your subject.

I use this technique with an 800mm lens and a crop body.

And of course practice, practice practice.

Diane Miller
02-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes, practice is next, for action -- like shooting from the hip.

David Stephens
02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
If you have a Radio Controlled flying club in your area, it's great practice for acquiring and maintaining focus. The planes go by over and over, so that you can practice starting with OOF, grabbing a pre-focus and then locking onto a plane quickly and then following. Some are slow, some are fast. The club members are invariably happy to help. Once you get good at acquisition and following, then ask them to fly their planes straight at you, so you can practice one of the most difficult tracking shots. The members will love it if you send a few shots to put up on their site. In an hour of shooting you can get a month's worth of bird-equivalent practice.

Forget about the level, simply practice as the Captain suggests. I use basically the same technique as he. I've tried one-eye and two-eye technique and, for me, it doesn't seem to matter which I use. I normally close my left eye and look over the top of the viewfinder with my right and drop down to the viewfinder when it's time to focus (after already prefocusing).

Diane Miller
02-13-2013, 01:00 PM
We do -- that's a great idea -- thanks! I shoot at airshows whenever I get a chance, but RC models mimic the speed and unpredictability of birds much better.

I'm curious, though -- why does the subject coming straight at me present a more difficult tracking situation than the "shot across the bow"? I have the Canon 5D Mk III and find the AF wonderful.

David Stephens
02-13-2013, 01:15 PM
We do -- that's a great idea -- thanks! I shoot at airshows whenever I get a chance, but RC models mimic the speed and unpredictability of birds much better.

I'm curious, though -- why does the subject coming straight at me present a more difficult tracking situation than the "shot across the bow"? I have the Canon 5D Mk III and find the AF wonderful.

I think that the fast closing speed presents problems for most AI Servo programs. If the subject is low, then small against the BG and grows fast, so you might be more prone to grab the BG. I'm not really sure, but this is the toughest shot for me. I'm amazed at the 5D3's broadside AF capability, even keeping focus on birds that fly behind trees with no leaves.

I think that you'll find RC plane shooting very helpful for your technique. It's a good opportunity to try different AF programs. I find Arash's custom program (there's a thread here nearby) the best over all for fast bird.

After shooting RC and birds, air shows are a piece of cake, so long as you can get a good position.

Chris Knight
03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
I had seen a Pistol Reflex sight mounted on hotshoe, it is called a Holosight. He was shooting a 600mm with TCs using the sight for target aquisition
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-holosight.html (http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-holosight.html)