PDA

View Full Version : Mara Big Sky ...

Andrew Aveley
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
An image captured yesterday on the plains below the Oloololo Escarpment in the north section of Kenya's Mara Triangle conservancy. I am leading a Big Cats and Tuskers expedition with Wild Eye at present and looking to capture the landscapes of this amazing destination.

Canon 5D MK 3 , 16-35 MK2 F2.8 , Zeiss Polariser , Handheld out of vehicle (may not alight at all)
1/50 , ISO 100 @16 mm Time , 11h30 am

Processed in LR 4 with preset I developed to resemble AGFA processed film

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Andrew,

The large tree in the front - I would have preferred to see it a bit more left. As composed, it feels unbalanced to me.

Using the new Histogram display in Firefox, the blues, greens and whites are clipped. Saturation is too high too.

Don Railton
02-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi Andrew

I agree with Robert, I think those colours are over saturated for my taste, espc the green... I also think the big tree is out of place, I think I might like to have seen the image taken either much closer to it so it dominates the image or left out completely.

DON

Dave Mills
02-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Don and Robert speak for me...same analysis... I would like to see the tree moved and more dominant. Colors are definately oversaturated. Green is the easiest color to see oversaturated...

Andrew Aveley
02-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the feed back. Composition is limited due to not being able to get out of the vehicle .FF so easy to crop as suggested. I have purposefully oversaturated as mentioned in the notes on the image. AGFA films had a heavy push on greens and blues. There is much i can do with this image from BW to normal colour but tho is my personal presentation ! Thanks again for the feedback

Rachel Hollander
02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Hi Andrew - while I appreciate that the saturation may be the look you were going for, I am with the others in that it doesn't look natural and instead looks overcooked. There are also some brighter streaks (for lack of a better description) in the grasses in front of the tree that draw the eye and are distracting. I do like the open space with the trees dotting the plains. Looking forward to seeing more of your images from your workshop.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
I dig the comp bro, and don't mind the placement of the tree.
I appreciate the direction you were going for - did you apply the preset de facto or tweak it afterwards? I do think you can achieve the look you were going for while still taming some of the most unnatural-looking colours...:e3
Those green streaks in the FG immediately stood out to me to - natural patterns in the grass?

The Big Cats and Big Tuskers trip sure seems to be delivering if the FB posts are anything to go by!!

Rudi van den Heever
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I will leave the techs to the technical experts sir...:w3

Love the space and contrast between the greens and blues - could have been a Microsoft Windows home screen... :c3:

Andrew Aveley
02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. The lines in the grass is actually flattened grass due to two lions that had ;made there way through towards a heard of buffalo. Now that I look at the big screen and notth enote book there maybe a touch to much green on the bttom fifth of the frame. Have removed this and think its more natural. Morkel it is one of my own presets that I have been working on :) Thanks again for the comments and feed back.