0 EV
Aperture priority
ISO 400
Pattern

Levels
Curves
Saturation
Selective Color
Nik Software color Efex Pro 4 - Tonal Contrast & Detail Extractor - subject only, Dfine 2.0 - background only
Photoshop USM - subject only

Steve Kaluski
02-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi Nick, I like the pose, especially with the eyes looking away and above, as the face has an almost, patient, waiting look, if that makes sense?

As I'm away and judging on the laptop, it does look a little saturated, but that could be because it has an untagged profile. The conditions look like quite bright light, but not harsh, so you did well in not burning the whites, although there does seem a couple of hotspots near the shoulders. I think if you could tone the fur down a little more it certainly helps and provides a bit more clarity too. Perhaps the face could also take some additional selective sharpening.

Just watch your shutter speed, but from memory I think the 40D doesn't like to go beyond 800, but I could be wrong. :w3

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
02-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi Nick - nice pose and the vertical comp works well. Good suggestions by Steve about toning down the highlights a little more. I'm also seeing a slight blue cast to some of the whites on the chest.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Nice pose here Nick. Steve nailed the critique on the head. Some slight tweaks and this will be taken up a level.
Nice spot by Rachel on the whites...

Looking forward to more! :5

Marina Scarr
02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Lovely portrait of this species and good critiques/comments above. Love the "look" on this one.

nick clayton
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the critiques it is very much appreciated. Rachel did well to spot the blue cast on the chest, I'm not sure what would cause that. I gave the brighter parts a bit of Nik detail extractor and they don't seem to bad to me, I also don't think the image is oversaturated. I agree the face isn't quite as sharp as it could be and maybe could do with a bit more sharpening. Thanks again for the comments.