PDA

View Full Version : Sweet White Violet

Ed Vatza
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Made with Canon XT, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox

1/125 sec at f/8; ISO 400, EC -1/3; FEC -2

John Cooper
04-29-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi Ed, I like the strong 'cross' composition here and good detail in the white petals. The darker BG makes a good backdrop.

Ed Vatza
04-29-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback, John. Much appreciated. Mike provided some feedback on one of my earlier posts regarding seeking the best background and I have taken it to heart. I still get a lot of images where the background isn't quite what I wanted. In this case when I saw this liolet growing with an inch or two of I tree trunk, I felt pretty confident that the background would turn out well/

Mike Moats
04-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Hey Ed, a nice job onthe whites as they are hard to balance with a darker BG. Its good that you thinking more on the BG's as they are really important in the overall image, you did well here.

Fabs Forns
04-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Good whites and background. Although I'm usually a wide open flower photog, in this case, a little more DOF would have made the petal borders sharper.
Good compo!

Roman Kurywczak
04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Ed,
Like the BG you chose.....but as you know I'm a more DOF guy. I spend more time on BG's in macro than I probably do on the actual subject. Once you find a nice subject.......even that can be ruined by a poor BG so the fact that Mike has you now thinking about it is a huge plus. If I may make a recommendation (as i will be forcing myself to also do this)......once composed.....take the shot at varied f stops.......from 2.8 (I'm never here) to 32......decide which one works best at home,
Roman

Ed Vatza
04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Mike, Fabs, Roman,

Thanks for the critiques. As always, I really appreciate the feedback and will try to utilize it in future forays.

Roman, I do generally try several different f-stops but I don't often go from wide open to fully stopped down. And of the two extremes, I am more likely to drift toward the wide open end of the continuum. I find that I generally shoot in the f/8 to f/16 range outdoors. When I was shooting store-bought flowers in the house bak in the winter/early spring, I did very often shoot f/22. Some of those exposures were taking up to 10 seconds. I liked how they turned out but that was on a tripod and I was able to control the background a lot more.

Anyway, it is still practice, practice, practice!