First frame starting at:
1/1250 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
AEB comp: -1
Live view: active
ISO: 400
FEISOL CT-3441S tripod paired with the FEISOL CB-30C ballhead

Though I was here to shoot the eagles with the super-tele, I have always liked the tree the nest is in. Big problem is the ground as it detracts from the image. I framed it so I have adequate room top and sides (IMO) and let the bottom fall where it did - the idea being to crop up after. There were small portions of an adjacent pine intruding into the frame on the right that were removed. Next time I will move left to eliminate that in the field. After cropping the bottom line of ground trees out, I felt the image looked too top-heavy so left them in.

I used Photomatix Pro on a 5 frame bracketed image with the intent of it NOT looking like HDR; just getting more detail in the tree and branches.

Mark Jones
02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Great image Robert. I wouldn't have guessed HDR at all.

Rachel Hollander
02-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Robert - for some reason this just isn't doing it for me. I think it either needed the whole tree or needed to be tighter with emphasis on the nest. You did get nice detail with the hdr.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
panned out nice and natural Robert!
nice framing and comp - understand your reason for not 'grounding' it, and it works for me...
:5

Ron Bernstein
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey Robert, This doesn't look like an HDR image at all; well done. I appreciated your explanation, so the remaining question is: does this image work without that explanation?
I like the curvature of the trees, but I kept asking for more, such as a bird flying into or out of the nest. Somehow, I think you'll be back working that subject again and again!