PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear ISO3200

Jamie Douglas
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Hi folks, long time no interact :5

I dug into my archives yesterday and worked this image of a black bear taken at ISO3200. I posted the same bear in a different position last fall and I was never happy with how the rocky shoreline looked after processing. The rocks looked a little flat and burned IMO.

Please take a look at the other high ISO image and see how it compares to this image: http://jamiedouglasphotography.com/p646954356/h45e57f0a#h45e57f0a

Canon 1D Mark IV | 400mm | F5.6 | 1/1000 | ISO3200 - taken from small lightweight 6 man rubber boat.

Edited in ACR and PS CS6 - Created a dodge/burn layer to adjust the light on the foreshroe rocks and bring out the detail in the ears, curve adjustmentfor overall image tone, and slective colour adjustment to reduce the magenta in the fur. Resized for web and ran NR layer and Smart Sharpen on 1024px copy. Cropped a little more than I would have liked.

This is where a 500mm F4 would come in handy.

Thanks

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
02-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi Jamie, if you were a little lower I think you might have lost the green of the sea weed which I find a light bright and distracting against the rocks of the shoreline. I think there is a happy balance with the blues & blacks, take too much out and what appears to happen is you get a 'magenta' colour creeping in and also you lose that lovely dense thick fur, where you can sink your hands into :bg3: There is more detail in the head to come out and I might take a little off either side, it can take it. Looks OK at this size, the proof is in the printed item.

This is where a 500mm F4 would come in handy. You can LOL. :w3

TFS
Steve

Jamie Douglas
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Jamie, if you were a little lower I think you might have lost the green of the sea weed which I find a light bright and distracting against the rocks of the shoreline. I think there is a happy balance with the blues & blacks, take too much out and what appears to happen is you get a 'magenta' colour creeping in and also you lose that lovely dense thick fur, where you can sink your hands into :bg3: There is more detail in the head to come out and I might take a little off either side, it can take it. Looks OK at this size, the proof is in the printed item.

Here is a repost. I burned the seaweed to tone down the brightness and cropped a little from the LHS and bottom to balance the image a little better. Looking at the head, I went back to the burn/dodge layer and opened up the shadows a fraction with the opacity at about 18%.

The image looks better on my monitor at 1400px.

You can LOL. :w3

I nearly called the local camera store this morning :)

Thanks and not long now until swoop time.

Rachel Hollander
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Hi Jamie - this looks very well processed with little noise at ISO 3200. Well done. The rp takes it up a notch. So who's going to be first on the 500, you or Steve?

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
This looks great Jamie. As Steve said, great balance in the bear's colour...IQ looks good at this size, comp is nice (apart from the neon green moss :Whoa!:).
Looking forward to more posts and critiques from you again... :5 ?

Jamie Douglas
02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi Jamie - this looks very well processed with little noise at ISO 3200. Well done. The rp takes it up a notch.

Cheers for the comments Rachel. It is so nice to have a body that handles high ISOs up here on our cloudy wet coast.

So who's going to be first on the 500, you or Steve?

hahaha I don't know, or rather I should say I am not in a position to disclose that information.... yet! I was all set until a buddy let me try out his new 600mm II.

Steve Kaluski
02-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Jamie the RP looks a tad better, but why didn't you just drop the saturation in the sea weed, then mask?

Mmmmmm I think the 600 might arrive before.

Remember, before I forget, dig out a couple of images to do some tutorials on and stick them on a CD, plus a couple of blanks too. Oh and cheese is off the menu based on Ewans liking and approach to his application of it, LOL. :bg3:

Shreyas Mantri
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Jamie, I definitely like the RP and besides the moss issue, I love the overall environment it portrays. Great Bear Rainforest perhaps?
TFS