PDA

View Full Version : Shaking things up (C)

Shreyas Mantri
02-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Was browsing through some old files and found this. Gelada (captive) shot at Bronx Zoo last year. I'm pretty fascinated by the construction and color combination on this species. Their intense brown eyes almost look human at times. Only when they open their mouth for a yawn one realizes that they may be the most vicious looking vegetarians around :bg3:

Canon 7D, Manual, 300mm 2.8 II, f/2.8 @ 1/320s, ISO 400

Comments/suggestions always welcome!

Nancy Bell
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
I really like the motion you captured in the flying fur and yet still have that expressive eye and the red "heart" on the chest in perfect focus. One tiny, tiny distraction is a small white dot just below the eye. If you want that could be easily cloned away. This is a magnificent looking male.

Steve Kaluski
02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Shreyas, it's a cool looking image and certainly different, but I just can help but wonder if there has been some PP work done to create this? I really like the textures, tones and detail in the face juxtapose to the blurred, movement of the coat, but it's the different directions the coat is taking, i"m puzzled???? :Whoa!:

TFS
Steve

Shreyas Mantri
02-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks Nancy and Steve!

@ Steve, a very good observation regarding the fur movement! Nope, I haven't altered anything to create the "movement" effect. How it works is that the Gelada was sitting on the rock as we're sitting on the chair, and he wanted to shake off the water from his fur that got wet in the stream eating (I think) algae. While doing that, he involuntarily shook his head along or faster than his shoulders and that's why the different direction of the fur. As humanly their posture is, try emulating a dog out of the pool yourself and see :bg3: :bg3:

When I was viewing the Geladas, all of their antics of grooming, feeding, socializing etc. were very enchanting, and I wanted to capture some in-action shots, and hence the result.

Steve Kaluski
02-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Hi Shreyas, appreciate the info, gives clarity and really helps when coupled with the image. Makes for an even more interesting image, well seen & captured. :cheers:

Processing looks good, just wonder how it would have looked without the clipped hair, although a difficult one to crop. I guess we find them enchanting as primates are so close to us and our antics. :S3: If you have more, please share.

Cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Shreyas - I've looked at this a few times. I really like the movement in the hair/fur by the head and the sharp eye. This is very nicely pp. I do wish the hair wasn't clipped. You've gone to a somewhat square crop here. Does that mean that you have more room to the left? I wonder how it would look as more of pano emphasizing the head, eye and flowing hair.

TFS,
Rachel

Shreyas Mantri
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks Rachel! This was shot vertical, so no room on either side. Like Steve mentioned, it was a difficult crop; and the reason for choosing this crop is that he sprung out quick and was too close for a 300mm and the legs got partially chopped, so I had to look for alternative composition. I do have some pano shots, one of which I've posted in the past here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/100902-Pensive-Gelada

Morkel Erasmus
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
This works a treat, Shreyas...love the sharp eye with the revolving hair/head.
Would love to see more with other framings?

Marina Scarr
02-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I absolutely LOVE this image, and you did a splendid job anticipating and capturing this behavior. Love all the movement in the fur yet the sharp eye and chest really help to anchor the image.