PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Owl

Jon Swanson
02-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Sorry for not much posting lately but work has been nothing short of extremely busy. This is a photo of a Boreal Owl taken recently. I have them on many perches and looking at me....eyes closed. But I preferred the 'reflective' Boreal Owl. The perch is a snag in the forest. It was also fun to meet the ever elusive Shawn Zierman while there ;) D800 600VR + 1.4TC f8 ISO 400 1/320 flash fired.

Joe Senzatimore
02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Fine detail and composition. Love the perch. Might just tone it down a bit as it seems to be a tad too bright. Great eye contact.

Karl Egressy
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Great finding and a very nice image, Jon. Love the beutiful eyes and the nice light.

Dennis Zaebst
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Great image Jon of a beautiful bird. Wonderful eye contact and great light. Exposure looks perfect to me and great sharpness. Very well done!

Grace Scalzo
02-05-2013, 10:00 PM
What a wonderful find (Both the owl and Shawn :w3) I love his snag and pose. Exposure and sharpness look perfect to me. I do wonder if you might consider moving him up in the frame more? It feels unbalanced to me with all that room up top, but i do love the color of the background.

Tim King
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Jon, you just gave me goosebumps...

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2013, 01:41 AM
exposure is perfect and details are great, not to mention such a rare and handsome owl you managed to capture on an interesting perch. well done

David Salem
02-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Looks great to me too. Great techs and a cool pose and perch. Very nice.

Shawn Zierman
02-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Lovely image Jon. I like the indirect eye contact here. Excellent background control, and your shooting position
and focal length did a great job on cutting down the angle. Love the perch, particularly the crazy zig zag worm
pattern. I agree that there is a bit too much space on top, especially considering the gaze of the owl is downward...I was going to give a fake name and remain elusive, but you were all over the shawnz. ID...was caught off gaurd! :) Never underestimate the value of a ski mask....seriously though, it was nice to meet you...

Daniel Cadieux
02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Cool! Subject and perch look great. Nice details, wonderful BG. I do wish you had pointed your lens down a bit more.