PDA

View Full Version : Trotting Rhino

Rachel Hollander
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I won't disclose where this one was taken for obvious reasons. Taken in the morning.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 168mm
1/500
f9
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, cropped to 16x9, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color, dodging and burning, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Brendon Cremer
02-06-2013, 03:15 AM
A Lovely image Rachel, i like the foot up pose giving you a sense of the movement. I keep wanting a little more space all around but especially on top an on the LHS. The Rhino its self looks a tad over sharpened and may possibly need a little lift in the mid tones especially around the head and shoulders. The exposure around the mid belly looks to be correct.

Steve Kaluski
02-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Hi Rachel, I'm with Brendon, wishing for more space all round. I think if you go for a format like this it needs space. I personally wouldn't lift any mid tones as you could lose some detail, although I would drop the Magenta in the Reds. I like the raise foot indicating a slight trop and the flying bird.

Techs look good.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks Brendon and Steve - I had worked up the ff image before going with the 16x9 because I didn't love the sky in the ulc. Unfortunately, I don't have any more room to the lhs but here's the ff image.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Nice detail on this guy, Rachel. I agree on dropping the magentas, even in the RP.
I like the additional space, but it feels slanted now given the angle of the sky/horizon line in the BG? Was he going up a slight incline?

Rachel Hollander
02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks Morkel - the feeling of the slant was one of the reasons I went with the 16x9 crop. I can't remember if there was a slant but the larger tree on the right seems straight.

Roy Priest
02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Rachel, I see why you cropped in a little closer. I struggle with cropping too, as you know.:S3: Like the movement and the raised foot.