PDA

View Full Version : Honey Bee

Indranil Sircar
02-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Another one from UC Santa Cruz Arboretum... I think this flower is called Banksia Media and is from Western Australia. These flowers were attracting bees as well as hummingbirds. Other than their head, the bees were pretty much camouflaged in the yellow flower. For processing, I used a layer of Topaz Simplify and Fractalius along with an adjustment layer for selective color to reduce the yellow. Used masks to bring back the original bee. Hope you like it...

Cheryl Slechta
02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi, Indranil, I like it. The flower almost looks like an underwater anenome which is cool and I like the dark background space.:S3:

Judy Howle
02-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I like it too. The flower is very unusual and I like the way the bee is "perched" on it.

Anita Bower
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
This looks like a happy bee. I'm amazed by how well the bee blends in with the flower. That is probably good for the bee, but I wish the bee stood out a bit more in the photo.

Dave Woeller
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
A really cool shot. When I first opened it I thought the bee was launching himself at you, yikes. I like your choice of processing.

Indranil Sircar
02-06-2013, 10:50 PM
This looks like a happy bee. I'm amazed by how well the bee blends in with the flower. That is probably good for the bee, but I wish the bee stood out a bit more in the photo.

Thanks Anita. The bees were certainly camouflaged and I had to use multiple layers to get some separation. I will have to try from a different light angle.