PDA

View Full Version : First Glimpse

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-28-2008, 06:48 PM
This was the first glimpse of the treasury at Petra. Petra was found in 106 A,.D. and this city carved in the mountains with only one way in and out by the Nabataeans and is one of the 7 modern wonders of the modern world. Definitely the most beautiufl place that I have ever seen. The beautifully carved palaces and the homes carved out of stone surpasses anything my eyes have ever experienced. Later the Romans held it for a time as well as the Byzantine empires. and briefly the crusaders. The color of the stone rages for purples, orages , pinks and many more. The lighting is gorgeous in the late afternoon as it hits this awesome place. It is a place that is very difficult to describe but a must if ever you have the opportunity. I will post a full image of the tresury at a later date. I had the great experience of riding in by horse part of the way. Hope you enjoy.

Nikon D3
ISO 500.
Nikon 14 to 24 mm
1/400, F5

All comments are very much appreciated.

Dave Phillips
04-28-2008, 06:52 PM
quite beautiful Judy Lynn....just a wee hint of light in the shadows

appreciate the commentary, can only imagine the gorgeous colors in late light

Paul Pagano
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
What a neat place to see. Like something out of Indiana Jones....well done, and the exposure for me works nicely.

Michael Pancier
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
this is so amazing this would have been perfect for a vertical stitch ... even this lens can't capture the grandeur of the sire...

Jeffrey Sipress
04-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Fantastic photo, Judy. While not really a landscape, it still has that slot canyon feel. A bit of shadow recovery would add interest to that large amount of dark space.

John Cooper
04-29-2008, 02:43 AM
Wow Judy, very impressive. When I first saw the thumbnail I thought, "Slot Canyon" !!
I love the way you have composed this image - really gives a feeling of being there and wanting to see around the corner!!
Beautiful colouring and shadow detail - A travel capture with a difference!!

Harold Davis
04-29-2008, 04:48 AM
i agree with john!! i cant wait to see what is around the corner!! this is great. love the title. very fitting. the colors in this are just phenomenal!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi Jefferey, Many thanks for your comments and it would have been easy to bring up a little more detail in the rock walls to the side but this is how it was and I chose to leave it that way. It emphazies the dramatique view one gets as he approaches the entereance to the treasury and all it's incredible splendor. Truly it was breathtaking. Again many thanks .

Leroy Laverman
04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Interesting shot. This would even more dramatic without all the people in the image - nothing you can do about that. Looking forward to more for this series.

Roman Kurywczak
04-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Judy,
I'm going with all of the above......I do love the feeling of wanting to see what's around the corner but I would also like to see a little (very,very little) light in the shadow area especially on the left as it becomes a little overbearing but without losing the "what's around the corner" feel. Lastly, makes you wonder how they get these shots without people in them. Keep them coming as i feel like I'm there,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Well seen Judy. This reminds me of a scene from an Indiana Jones movie. If you do any shadow recovery, don't do much as the shadows add mystery. Well done.

Jeffrey Sipress
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Judy, this image just fine as is, and does have enough discernable shadow detail. I support your decision to keep it that way.

susanschermer
04-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Judy. Love the image. What a fantastic sight that must have been.
Might I recommend a little more crop on both sides to keep the black for drama, but to balance it more with the light. Also I like the 2-3 ratio better on verticals to emphasize strong lines.

Gayle Clement
04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
This is just amazing, Judy Lynn. It has such a sense of mystery.

David Kennedy
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Well seen Judy. This reminds me of a scene from an Indiana Jones movie.

There's a reason for that :D

Gus Cobos
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Judy,
This does bring back memories; I was there back in 1992, Its a fantastic place. I hope you enjoyed it...:)
Thank you for bringing it back...:)