PDA

View Full Version : What's new with the GT3542LS?

Pao Dolina
02-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Gitzo updated their line of tripod legs last year. So what has improved with the GT3542LS over the phased out GT3541LS that justified the sharp price jump?

John Chardine
02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Hi Pao- They have redesigned the top-plate mounting system. Before the top plate lay inside the top part of the legs and was secured by a screw which pinched the top part around the plate. There was no fail-safe to this like a grub-screw to secure the top plate in place and there are plenty of reports out there of the whole plate, tripod head, camera and lens just falling off the legs. Gitzo buried their head in the sand and simply said "make sure the screw is always tight and don't carry the rig over your shoulder). A third-party solution was engineered which involved fitting a plate underneath the top part of the legs and which secured everything in place. Eventually Gitzo solved the problem and you have the new models. I have one of the old models and so have not checked out how good the fix is, but I assume it works. In case you are wondering, I used red Locktite on the screw and around the top plate so nothing will move. I still check the security every now and then.

They may have made other improvements that I am unaware of.

Pao Dolina
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Thank you John.

Corey Hayes
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
I have this tripod, very good 0 issues.

Dperkell
06-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Like Corey I have the tripod as well and no issues. What's the difference between the 5541ls & the 5542ls?