PDA

View Full Version : Reflection on Glass

Don Thompson
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I am trying to get some photos of sea shells on glass. I like the reflection, but, I also get a ghost reflection which I don't particularly like. Any suggestions?

By the way, I am not looking for critiques, I didn't clean my glass good enough, I only posted the photo to illustrate the ghosting I am referring to. Thanks for any help.

http://www.pbase.com/dltphotography/image/148604684/original.jpg

Steve Maxson
02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi Don. It looks like you are onto an interesting technique. Depending on your shooting angle, you can get a reflection from both the top AND bottom surfaces of the glass. If this is what you are experiencing, you can try changing the shooting angle until you get only the one reflection.:S3:

Don Thompson
02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Don. It looks like you are onto an interesting technique. Depending on your shooting angle, you can get a reflection from both the top AND bottom surfaces of the glass. If this is what you are experiencing, you can try changing the shooting angle until you get only the one reflection.:S3:
Thanks Steve. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to change the angle I want just to eliminate the second reflection. Someone else on another forum suggested anti-glare glass or perspex. Do you think either of those might help?

Steve Maxson
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Someone else on another forum suggested anti-glare glass or perspex. Do you think either of those might help?

Sorry Don - I haven't had experience with either of these.

Don Thompson
02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the help. I don't like your answer, but that isn't your fault. :bg3:

Changing the shooting angle to avoid the reflection can restrict your composition.

I will work around the second reflection and keep looking for another solution. If I find one, I will share it here. Thanks again.

Don Railton
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi Don

Try painting the bottom surface a nice matte black. I dont know that this will work, but it could be worth a try...

DON

Jerry van Dijk
02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
HI Don, you might try a circular polarizer and play around with the dial a little. If the ghost reflection comes in at a different angle than the original reflection (which it seems to do), you might be able to eliminate it without losing the reflection your after.
Let us know if any of the options mentioned worked out!

Don Thompson
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
HI Don, you might try a circular polarizer and play around with the dial a little. If the ghost reflection comes in at a different angle than the original reflection (which it seems to do), you might be able to eliminate it without losing the reflection your after.
Let us know if any of the options mentioned worked out!

I will give the polarizer a try.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but for some reason I didn't get an email notifying me of your post.

Diane Miller
02-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Instead of glass, try black plexi. Only one surface to deal with.