PDA

View Full Version : Technicolor Chobe

Morkel Erasmus
02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
We witnessed this blistering sunset this past Saturday on the banks of the Chobe river (Namibian side). By the time we got our boat to a nice spot to get out, the light had peaked and was already fading. I made the best of what was left and set up for 2 quick compositions. This was one of them...

I love that we can get out on the Namibian side of the Chobe river on our safaris and make use of the amazing sunsets and big skies of the area, despite focusing on wildlife and bird photography for most of the day.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 20mm
f16 @ ISO-200
blend of 3 exposures for dynamic range

Don Railton
02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Morkel

Quite beautiful, like most of your images. The blending is done perfectly and the result looks very natural. I especially love the sky and the colour, and the reflection of the cloud on the RHS. I am undecided about the inclusion of the tree however as I feel it sort of blocks or inhibits my eye to wander around the image. the stump mid frame is a distraction as well. I know time was against you but I might have wandered to the right to the waters edge a little more and tried to pick up a little more reflection, assuming there were no big teeth living in the water and waiting for the opportunity...

DON

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Morkel,

Don expressed my thoughts and feelings exactly. I would have tried to get the clean water and all the color as the FG with a different composition.

Rachel Hollander
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi Morkel - beautiful colors and Don has raised some excellent points. I agree that the center stump is a distraction but I know you don't like to clone.

TFS,
Rachel

Jerry van Dijk
02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi Morkel, that must have been some spectacular sunset! The blues look a little oversaturated to me, resulting in an unnatural look. I tried selective desaturation of the blues and liked the result.

mikedewitt
02-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Really nice. Agree with the other comments regarding composition, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. Also, this works better for me cropped to pano.

Morkel Erasmus
02-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks folks.
Tried desaturating the blues - it worked :5

Rudi van den Heever
02-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Eish! Awesome colours Morks... Love the silky water as well...:w3