PDA

View Full Version : Buteo brachyurus or Buteo platypterus? (dark morph)

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Hello every one.

I made this image last Jan at an elevation of 2000m at the Talamanca Mountain Range.

It was late in the afternoon and the light was very low so I had to boost the ISO a lot and made a huge crop.

Please help with the ID of this good looking raptor.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Brown
02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Beautiful bird and image, Juan! I would guess brachyurus (short-tailed hawk), dark morph, because of the lack of streaking on the breast. Wish we could see more of the tail! do you have more pix?

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Beautiful bird and image, Juan! I would guess brachyurus (short-tailed hawk), dark morph, because of the lack of streaking on the breast. Wish we could see more of the tail! do you have more pix?
Thanks Dan! I donīt have more pictures, well, may one but is not sharp. The bird flew off as soon as it saw me!

Dan Brown
02-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks Dan! I donīt have more pictures, well, may one but is not sharp. The bird flew off as soon as it saw me! Does the oof pic show more tail, etc? It might help, even if oof!

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi Dan, I deleted the other images due to lack of good quality, well, this is not the best quality either!

In CR we got to the conclution that the bird is a red-tailed hawk, dark morph. Buteo jamaicensis. Many people helped to get the ID. For me it was not an easy task!

Dan Brown
02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Dan, I deleted the other images due to lack of good quality, well, this is not the best quality either!

In CR we got to the conclution that the bird is a red-tailed hawk, dark morph. Buteo jamaicensis. Many people helped to get the ID. For me it was not an easy task!Thanks, Juan. The dark morphs are hard id's!