PDA

View Full Version : You Tube ....Lenses for Bird and Nature Photography: Birds As Art Style by Artie Morris

Ian Roy
02-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi All

For those of you that aren't aware
I have just seen Arthur Morris's B&H presentation on Canon lenses . Its on You tube entitled
Lenses for Bird and Nature Photography: Birds As Art Style

wow.....

John Patrick
02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Just a head's up for others who are interested in checking it out, it is a 2 Hour presentation, so plan accordingly. Get your chores done, get some snacks, and tell the SO to leave you alone for the next two hours!

John

David Stephens
02-05-2013, 08:36 PM
I can look it up, but a link would be nice if you're going to start a thread about it.

Mike Tracy
02-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I can look it up, but a link would be nice if you're going to start a thread about it. Agreed but this was easy enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pas-GiB9jzo

Lorant Voros
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing this link. It was fun to watch.

James Shadle
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
You can view it here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/content.php/167-Lenses-for-Bird-and-Nature-Photography-Birds-As-Art-Style

Pao Dolina
02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
It is always a joy to learn from Artie. He is so thorough and forward thinking. You will never go wrong with his advice. He is also so humble to admit when he is wrong without people putting him in such a position.

BobbyPerkins
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Thank you for sharing this. It was great to finally sit through a live Arthur Morris presentation, I really enjoyed it. I also think it was a delightful commentary to much excellent work, many I haven't seen on the blogs & bullitins, but also enjoyed learning some of the stories behind the ones I have seen. Very informative & Nicely done Artie.

Tom Kirk
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi all, does anyone know where I can buy a vest like Artie shows in this video ? thanks in advance.

BobbyPerkins
02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Artie's vest is an XtraHand vest from a company called The Vested Interest, I believe his is a custom Magnum version. You can search it on his Blog and he gives plenty of infoon his custom features and links for it. Very nice gear, they also have more affordable versions like the Still vest.

Tom Kirk
02-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Thanks for your help Bobby, I will look into that, cheers.

nancy hazen
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank you so much for posting this link. I had to laugh and repeat to my husband, what Artie said at first about it isn't the lens. I've been wanting to purchase a 500 for long time, but the money is probably better spent learning how to work with the lenses I have. I am looking forward to the PhotoExpoWest. I hope you are there again. I learned so much from you at that seminar. This lens youtube seminar was incredible. There are so many choices for lenses and your talk was so helpful. I kept thinking about what you said about the value of a shorter zoom lens (I have the 70-200 and 100-400) while I was lying down in the wet sand trying to get a good shot of the Marbled Godwit and Skimmers. My husband doesn't even blink and eye anymore, when I come back to the car sandy and wet. He just reaches for the plastic bag to put on the seat. LOL You mentioned using the TC with the 70-200. I have the new version and have thought about purchasing a TC.
Are there any more great informational youtubes like this one? I'd love to see more. Thank you for sharing such helpful information.
Nancy

Nancy Phillips
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
The movie is on the front page of this site.
Gotta love it - my beloved 400mm f/5.6L a "toy lens". Now my 70-200mm f/4LIS - that's a "toy lens", barely notice it is there. I have a lot of work to do on my field skills and my camera skills, plus some additional arm exercises to boot, before I think about getting a non-toy supertelephoto lens. I'd need more arm heft before taking one of Mr. Shadle's handheld BIF seminars with a non-toy lens. (I am an average middle-aged woman).

Nancy Phillips
02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
El cheapo vests can be purchased at your local hunting goods store. The back game pocket is big enough for medium telephotos. Front pockets are good for TCs, filters , batteries, cable release, spirit level, small macro lens, gloves, "energy bars"/gorp bag. The all-important H20 hangs off my belt/ belt loop by a 'biner.

Joe Murphy
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
There is also a "Learning to Create Pleasing Blurs" from Artie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HiZ6zSStBo&list=UUHIRBiAd-PtmNxAcLnGfwog&index=6

David Stephens
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Nancy Phillips, a couple of my "average", middle aged lady photographer friends are hand holding 500/f4 Series I lenses. Both didn't think that they could do it, but got frustrated with the missed shots with their tripods. Now, hand holding is their default mode of shooting their super-teles. The new, lighter Series II holds out even more hope.

As a linebacker build, but old male, I can say that practice not only makes perfect, but you do gain strength, particularly in your left arm. My left shoulder was replaced around 15-years ago and it took a few weeks to get really steady. Now, with two-years of super-tele hand holding experience, my endurance is way up and I actually hand hold 700mm down below 1/100-sec. (thanks you Image Stabilization). Persistence pays.

Nancy Phillips
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I got a touch of right elbow lateral epicondylitis aka "tennis elbow" from long days with the 400mm f/5.6L, probably exacerbated by a habit of perching the camera/lens on my left shoulder when walking, and then grabbing and swinging laterally at shoulder level with my right arm. I now do specific exercises for the appropriate extensor muscles and the supinator muscle (aka screwdriver muscle). The problem has abated, as long as I keep up the exercises. I also pay more attention to body mechanics when deploying the camera.
I highly recommend the "flex-bar" graduated set for those with tennis elbow issues. http://www.thera-band.com/store/products.php?ProductID=20 Exercises with these rubber bars got me to the point where I could resume dumbbell workouts with my right arm without fear of damage.

Grant China
02-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the link. I just finished watching it and enjoyed it immensely. Of course, in my case it's like watching videos about Ferraris when I have more of a Toyota budget. OK, maybe BMW budget since I do have the 70-300L. But anything more expensive than that is still a fantasy for me. Nevertheless, I do enjoy learning about all the pro grade lenses.

Arthur Morris
06-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. There will be complete info on the Xtrahand vest in the Monday June 26, 2016 blog post. You can make some great images with the 70-300 L. I did when I had my hands on one. It is a great flight lens.

And a big time thanks to Ian Roy for starting this thread.

a