PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl.

Karl Egressy
02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I was advisedby Arthur Morris that I should disclose the fact that an owl or a raptor I took picture of was baited
even if I was not the one or any of my friends or acquaintances who done the baiting, using the term: baited by others.
I obey the rules: baited by others.
I removed a couple of fence wires from the background.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 7D
canon 500 f4.0 L IS +1.4 III
Manual Exposure
ISO 500
F 7.1
1/4000 s
Shot from tripod

Melissa Groo
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Although the perch may not be the best ever, this is still a beautiful image, Karl. So painterly. That background is wonderful, and the light is just gorgeous. I love the leaning forward pose that gives such tension, as if he's about to fly. And the light in the eye.
The only suggestion might be to drop him down a bit and remove some of the perch to downplay it. But stunning as is.

jack williamson
02-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Awesome light and a wonderful exposure, the BG is as good as it gets.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Light, exposure and pose are great Karl. Do you have any with more head turn.
Some cloning artifact are visible - easy to fix. I do like Melissa's idea of dropping him down a bit.
Looking forward to more.

Marina Scarr
02-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Stunning bird, light and BG. Comp works well.

Randy Stout
02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Karl:

Lovely bird, light, BG colors. Yes, to some cloning artifacts, but a minor issue to fix. Although I like the comp as posted, I would also try a version with a bit off the bottom because it will downplay the perch. Another option would be to reduce the contrast of the post a bit to reduce its impact.

Cheers

Randy

Grace Scalzo
02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Thank you for your disclosure, Karl. When I do a browser scroll and remove some of the perch to just above your signature, I like the image much better. Your subject is lovely, light is sweet, sharpness and exposure look spot on. (Altho I am at my work monitor) Do you have any where he was looking directly at you?

Karl Egressy
02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you all. Here is a version after some clean up and taken some canvas off of the bottom.
To be honest I like the original as per composition, but I agree the perch is not the best looking one, to say the least.

Karl Egressy
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Thank you for your disclosure, Karl. When I do a browser scroll and remove some of the perch to just above your signature, I like the image much better. Your subject is lovely, light is sweet, sharpness and exposure look spot on. (Altho I am at my work monitor) Do you have any where he was looking directly at you?
Thanks, Grace. I have already posted an othr version. I do have a couple with an almost strait look at me but the pose is not as good as this one is.
Might post one a few days time.

Nick Palmieri
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Very nice re-post and great capture. Beautiful light!

Charles Daigle
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Wondeful light, subject, sharpness and all technicals! You should be proud!

Loi Nguyen
02-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Karl, agreed with others that the post is not ideal, but I'm with you in liking the OP better. The BG of the OP is more balance between ground and sky. The re-post BG is dominated by grey. The owl is spectacular. I'm envious with the folks up North for haing these species. I'm likely to be in Ottawa soon, could you recommend a park where I should o looking or owls? Thank you.

Melissa Groo
02-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Interesting. I like the OP better too. Partly cause that lovely rusty color of the lower background gets mostly lost in the repost.

David Salem
02-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Beautiful shot Karl. Exposed very well and I like the looking off stare. I too like the OP better. Has a more balanced feel. Im used to birds sitting on rusty posts so the perch dosn't bother me:S3:. Well done

Sidharth Kodikal
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
... I agree the perch is not the best looking one, to say the least.
I'd be ecstatic to see a snowy (let alone a photograph one), Karl.
The bird commands so much attention that the perch doesn't bother me one bit.

Satish Ranadive
02-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Karl:
Absolutely superb image of beautiful owl.Very nice exposure,beautiful composition with great BG.
Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
02-02-2013, 04:54 AM
Hi Karl, sweet, sweet light, and I like the pose showing off both eyes. The snowy pops nicely from the BG, and I like your OP too with the snowy placed higher in the frame.

Grace Scalzo
02-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I stand corrected! Your OP is definately better, the repost feels unbalanced. Good job, Karl.

Rachel Hollander
02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Karl - beautiful light, bg and nice details. Some minor clean up of the artifacts and it's the op for me too.

TFS,
Rachel