PDA

View Full Version : Peek-a-Boo CoY Twins & Mom

Andrew Merwin
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Tripod mounted Mrk 3, ISO 400, 500+1.4=700, f/5.6, 1/250 +1.0 ev.
I shot this image in 5/2010 in YNP. It is nearly FF(cropped ~10%). The sow & her 2 CoYs were approaching me while I stood on a bank above them. So, I am as low as I can go. There is no room at the bottom.
I sharpened it & made slight adjustments in curves & levels with a minor adjustment with the recovery slider to eliminate the highlights in the grass. The jpeg version appears a little soft when posted here. However, the original capture is quit sharp.
I debated removing the grass in front of the sow's left leg but decided to leave it as it seems unobtrusive & I like the way her fur covers the grass blade.
The CoYs,about 5 months old when I made this image, survived & I made images of them as yearlings & 2 year olds. I found it very rewarding to know that these CoYs grew to become sub adults. Although Griz cubs can stay with their mother for up to 5 years, I expect that they will be on their own this year(2013). Maybe I will be able to find one or both of them this spring.

Loi Nguyen
02-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Very nice, good exposure to show the Sow's ce and eyes with lots of details. I'd have liked to see the Coys more if you have other pictures. I wonder if a vertical crop would show the Coys more?

Rachel Hollander
02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Andrew - the pp on this looks very good. I like the way that the cubs are peeking out and its great that you have been able to capture images of them in successive years. I do wish for a little more room below but understand that you don't have it. My first thought upon viewing was that this would look better as a portrait crop. Have you tried it?

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Merwin
02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks Rachel & Loi. Here is a portrait crop. I think it is too tight & square. There is no more room at the top or bottom. WDYT?

Rachel Hollander
02-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Andrew - I think it is too square. I would go to an even tighter 3x2 comp. Although tighter I think it accentuates the feeling of the cubs hiding behind mom. Cropping from the raw or tiff file will result in better IQ but here's to give you an idea.

Rachel

Andrew Merwin
02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks Rachel. While I understand your POV, it is too tight for my tastes. Grizzlies are large omnivores & I think they need room in the frame to move. In the OP, I wish I had more room at the bottom for the family to move into.

Steve Kaluski
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi Andrew, no sure how much time you had, but if you saw the route of the sow, then you could perhaps have planned and removed the 1.4, this I feel would have given you better scope.

Suggest applying a Luminosity mask which brings up the detail and softens the grass, then some more selective sharpening on the head. Crop, well certainly a portrait route for this, but as there is little room both top & bottom you are a little stuffed. Hopefully you will have more opportunities later this year and have some pointers to aid nailing the shots. Again, just watch the SS. :w3

TFS
Steve

Shreyas Mantri
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Andrew, it's a great capture and to my eyes it seems the bear head could use a little more sharpening. Or maybe you have it in your process but did not come through well during the conversion to 1024px?
Besides, I'd vote for your repost crop rather than the original.
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Can't add much here Andrew. I like Rachel's last repost for dimensions but it does need more space at the bottom to work for me.
I've been caught out with the converter on a lot. The new 200-400mm from Canon should sort that problem out for you white lensers :S3:.