PDA

View Full Version : Black-bellied Plover

wendell westfall
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
D90 70-200VR+2x@400 1/1000 f5.6 ISO400 0-EV handheld

From this morning . . . I hope I've named it correctly; a birder friend IDed it for me. He says it's either a juvenile or an adult non-breeding. I don't recall having seen this species of Plover before. I was quite a distance away so the crop is more than !'d like. I did like the contrast colors of the water and the mud. Adjusted in LR3.

Wendell

Grace Scalzo
01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Nice going on getting a new species, Wendell. I think that the light is a bit past prime and your shooting angle is high, but I do find the other tracks in the mud interesting.

Satish Ranadive
02-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Beautiful image of plover with nice reflection in blue water.I like the walking pose,shadow of plover and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Miguel Palaviccini
02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Wendell,

I agree with Grace's comments about the light and shooting angle. With that said, you positioned yourself pretty well to avoid any harsh shadows on the bird.

Miguel

Rachel Hollander
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I agree on the light and the shooting angle but I really like and find unusual the inclusion of both the shadow and reflection. Nice job to get both of them complete. For that reason I might crop a bit from the top and add a bit below if you have it so it isn't so tight on the reflection. I might also reduce the blue in the shadow just slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Bill Dix
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I like the reflection, and sense of place. Agree re. light and POV; Rachel makes a good suggestion about the crop.

wendell westfall
02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I agree on the light and the shooting angle but I really like and find unusual the inclusion of both the shadow and reflection. Nice job to get both of them complete. For that reason I might crop a bit from the top and add a bit below if you have it so it isn't so tight on the reflection. I might also reduce the blue in the shadow just slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

'Preciate you good suggestions -- I agree with them . . .
TVM,
Wendell

jack williamson
02-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Pretty neat seeing the shadow and the reflection. I think about a half a notch of exposure reduction may look good.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Wendel, lots of good suggestions above. multiple good things here as others have stated...agree with that. Shooting angle a bit higher than desired but you probably did not have the chance to go lower.

Karl Egressy
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Nice image and despite the harsh light it came out pretty good.