PDA

View Full Version : SB-910 & Better Beamer

Mats Carnmarker
01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I have read the thread further down in this forum category but except for the last post it did not give me much help. Last post did answer a few questions but I would like to here views and settings from several users.

For this post I'm interested in fill light and catch light usage.

I need advice on how to set up (configure) my SB-910 for optimal performance with my Better Beamer. Primarily used for perched birds but the only difference for BiF would be High Speed Sync I guess, but birds in flight are often too far away for the Better Beamer.

Still, should I use High Speed Sync and faster speeds (than 1/320) even for perched birds?

Use TTL or other?
50mm setting on the flash or more wide angle? I've read a test where 24mm gave more light than 50mm but what experience do you guys have?

What output magnitude would you set the flash to?
Recommended EC on flash?

Any other advice on settings for the SB-910 or any flash for that matter?

Regards,
Mats

Dan Brown
01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't have the SB910 but use the SB800 and I use high speed sync, both set on flash and camera body, use manual exp mode on camera body, use TTL on flash and set fill on flash at -2 most of the time. I adjust the fill to whatever meets my needs, depending on situation. Using these settings and reviewing a test shot or two, I can come up with a decent product. I would recommend using high speed sync, even for perched birds, this will allow you to use the higher SS's and ISO's if need be without having the 320th ceiling. At feeder setups, you will be close enough for the flash to definitely affect the exposure, so some tests and using fill only will be workable, IMO. Have fun!

Ulli Hoeger
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't think there is a recipe that fits all set-ups and situations, and like so many other times (exposure settings etc.) it comes down to user experience and preferences. The starting points have been listed (high speed sync, TTL, compensation of TTL controlled output), time to close the book and get out and play with them.

How zoom setting on the flash head affect the output beam with a BB in place can be figured out by trying different settings and evaluate the differences. I.e. set flash to 1/16 output (to get the same output power for the different trials) and using a short lens shot it at a distant wall . Look at the resulting light spot. Its size will change with the different setting, and smaller spots will be "brighter". 50mm a recommended the starting number, likely because it will get light most evenly on the back of the fresnel lens.

The catch with the smaller "brighter" spots:
- possible vignetting even when using a long lens. Depending on situation one will be able to live with the fall off in the periphery in exchange for the increased reach.
- problem of centering the spot in the center of the view field. A larger spot will be more fore giving when it comes to alignment of lens and flash, getting perfect alignment is tricky and often short lived as most flash heads have a certain degree of play in rotation and tilt.

Mats Carnmarker
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks for help.
Sorry for late reply, very busy weeks saving Sweden's Wolves.