PDA

View Full Version : Oh so small

Steve Kaluski
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
The second one from a previous posting, taken in Duba. I wanted Mum to frame the youngster. Annoying grass on the rear leg, but that's Wildlife, at least the subject is clear! Almost full frame. This was the first of the shots before they turn a full 180 degrees, interesting how the light then changes'

Steve
Subject: Elephant calf and mum walking out of shot (Loxodonta africana)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Rachel Hollander
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Steve - I love this. Very well seen and captured. The way the mother frames the baby is perfect. I also like the texture of the mother's skin juxtaposed against the smoother baby's skin. Your usual excellent techs as well. The golden light was in your favor too.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Steve,
your usual IQ ,with this time high cute factor because of the youngster.Like the sheltered image capture of the little fella.
Contrast, colors and tonal range is all there, superb depth in the ele skins.

Only thing is the comp , which is too wide for my taste , because the story is about ,from my POV, the sheltered youngster.
So i made a crop ,by knowing it would look a lot better without the swinging tail, but just a suggestion.Maybe you have the same frame without the tail in front ........

Your position should be slightly more to the left ,to avoid the other elephant legs in BG, easy to say without being there:t3.

But all in all , a nice cutie. Well done.

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi Steve, lovely image, love Andreas crop RP. The BG legs, I might would try to get them out. Again just me, the rest wonderful, envy :)

Rachel Hollander
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Interesting discussion because I think the tail adds to the image. It is one of the little things that for me takes the image to another level. It makes me think the mother was fairly relaxed. I also prefer the wider view of the op. I do agree on the legs of the other ele but I'm in an anti-cloning phase these days.:S3:

But these different views and suggestions are what makes BPN such a great resource.

Cheers,
Rachel

Brendon Cremer
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Lovely image Steve, great light, colours, lovely textures and detail. The OOF grass infront of the hind legs is not a big issue, i do wish tho the little ones eye was a little more open but i know ith these guys thats easier said than done. I like the suggestions and reasoning behind both crops mentioned above. I find the main emphasis should be on the little one under the mother the RP crop does this, however the Cut off tail in the frame as a result of this this crop is really off putting to me, so once again the OP crop looks better for that reason. I suppose in a perfect world i would choose the RP crop with out the tail in it. But very interesting to hear others views.

Roman Kurywczak
01-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Steve,
let me just say I wouldn't have thought about this comp but will now keep an eye out when I return to Tanzania in August!!! In the "perfect" world....the other legs wouldn't be there.....but I am OK with them. Interesting thoughts on crop. I like OP and Andreas RP but what about leaving R side as in the OP.....and cropping the LHS like he did in the repost? Just another thought but this has me rally thinking about comps I often wouldn't consider. Given that I use zoom lenses.....it will offer me some more options to look at.....so thanks for that! Given that so many crop versions will work.....this is a fantastic image!

Morkel Erasmus
02-01-2013, 04:31 AM
A lovely moment well captured, Mr Kaluski!
I liked the reposted crop but Brendon spoiled it for me by mentioning the tail.
OP for me then...
:5