PDA

View Full Version : Letchwe in the Mist

Brendon Cremer
01-30-2013, 03:35 AM
A Red Letchwe standing in the low lying mist as the sun pops over the horizon creating some really nice defused and soft light on the letchwe, the beginning of another awesome day begins at Duba Plains

Camera NIKON D3
Focal Length 400mm
Shutter Speed 1/1250 sec
Aperture f/4.5
ISO/Film 1000

Anette Mossbacher
01-30-2013, 05:04 AM
Hi Brendon,

great light and image. Like it very much. I might would get a bit more contrast on the animal :bg3:
Great comp

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
01-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi Brendon, I like the etherial look to the image, but like Anette, I feel I want more.

There is some nice soft depth to the bushes in the BKG that does add to the image that you can bring out, whilst still retaining the misty look & feel. In doing so, and this is purely personal, it also brings out a nice warm. richness to the coat & FG. Not a lover of the Egrets (?), plus there are a few dust bunnies, one on the edge of the furthest faint bushes in the BKG about half way along, the second to the left of that about an inch away. Not RP as I want, like you to see others views.
A nice departure from previous images. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi Brendon - I really like this with the soft diffused side light and the fog. The comp/wide view works really well here. Steve covered the dust bunnies.

TFS,
Rachel

Sarah Jessup
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
I like the look of the fog as it is. It, along with the light, makes the photo.
Sarah

Andreas Liedmann
01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi Brendon, like the foggie shot of this beautiful antelope.

Lovely soft colors and tones, i think it works very nice in total.I almost think i feel the situation , when you took the image.
If one adds more contrast to it, i feel you will some kind of loose the original feeling.I think in real life in fog, there is not much contrast visible , even if i am big fan of great contrast and a strong tonal range in the final image.

Only thing is the composition, which i think you can loose some of the dead space on LHS as viewed.?

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Brendon, I like the way the light still hit the Lechwe despite the fog - it adds a lot of pop to this image and enhances the mood.
I would actually have liked a tad more space on the RHS as the buck feels a bit close to the edge?
I'm also fine with not adding any more contrast - but if you do please do a repost so we can compare? :e3

Brendon Cremer
01-31-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks very much everyone. Here is a RP with a little more contrast, removed the dust bunnies (i hope), removed the egrets and added a little canvas on the RHS, WDYT?

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2013, 07:16 AM
Brendon - nice job on the rp. Just enough to take it up a notch but not lose the lovely feeling of the scene.

:5

Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey Brendon,
repost works fro me! Kept enough of the mood and the egret removal and space really makes this shine!

Andreas Liedmann
01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Brendon, RP works a tad better, not sure about removal of the bird, just a matter of taste .

Shreyas Mantri
01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Brendon, very nice scene captured here, and the repost is great. I especially love the contrast that gives more definition to the morning light on the coat of the animal.

TFS

Steve Kaluski
02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi Brendon, the RP is better and I guess how far you push it comes down to personal preference, plus you have a better indication of the scene to know how far to go.

Good call on the additional RH space, plus the removal of the Egrets. They really had nothing going for them, no behaviour, head, detail etc, just white blobs which distracted from what is nice a nice capture IMHO.