PDA

View Full Version : Hillsboro Light II

Harold Davis
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
i took this one in a little different direction. gave it the ole b&w treatment. i only wish the boat on the right was a little older so it would really date the image. and roman, can you say graduated ND filter?!!:D

hope you guys like this one. welcome all comments and critiques.

D300, 18-200VR at 50mm, f/16, 1/400s, 0EV, ISO 400. processing was done with capture nx. b&w conversion and graduated ND filter was done with the gradient tool both in CNX. no cloning at all. just a small crop for compo.

Michael Pancier
04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
if your program is like viveza then you can eliminate the grad from the LH to bring out the upper detail in blacks. likewise in corners

i like the B&W look, but then again I love B&W

Harold Davis
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
with michael's suggestion

Michael Pancier
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the repost does the trick for me ...

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Very lovely composition Harold and I do like the repost. The bird is a very nice added touch to this composition as well as the great sky. thanks for sharing !!!

Roman Kurywczak
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Harold,
I do like the B&W conversion. You have some minor merges between the boats and the BG and it looks like you have some noise in the sky. Debating what this would look like cropped a little from top and bottom to make a pano..........I'm thinking you have to get on dry land like Michael suggested as this lighthouse looks like a sure winner for B&W's,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I might like this more Harold if the left boat was gone and you only had the one large one on the right balancing the lighthouse. I think that the image is a bit confusing as I want to know what is the center of interest for the photographer - the lighthouse, the boats?

I think the B&W conversion does the image well.

Harold Davis
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
now what would a b&w be without noise!!? i left the noise on purpose, trying to predate the foto. thanks for the ideas everyone. will work on some more and see what i can come up with.