PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 800 f/5.6 VR, 10lbs, $17,899

arash_hazeghi
01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Nikon's monster lens specs are out. It's about the same weight as the Canon 800 but a lot more expensive. Who is going to buy ?

It makes the 8.6lb Canon 600 IS II a steal at $13K. Glad that Canon did this one right!

Gary Kinard
01-29-2013, 02:53 AM
I looked at the MTF on the Nikon lens. It is very impressive. To say the least. It has the two Fluorite lenses that Canon uses in the there new versions. I personally do not see the price staying at that for long? But who knows? It has a 1.25 T.C. tailored to the lens for 1000 mm. I personally will never venture into that territory. But I bet some will and I am waiting for some posts with it here. Wow. Unfortunately it is too heavy. I would buy the Canon 600 II if I wanted to venture into the 800 mm game. But if the MTF is correct? Sharper than the Canon 600 II with a 1.4 t.c. and sharper than the Canon 800 mm bare lens with or without the 1.25 t.c.

With the Nikon cameras using the Sony sensors I am really wanting to see this one in service. I bet Nikon takes the Canon lead and puts it in the 500 and 600 also? If that happens it will be a very interesting ball game...

Corey Hayes
01-29-2013, 11:59 AM
The MFT looks great but that Price, wow that's what my car cost.

arash_hazeghi
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
The Nikon MTF looks great, I am not sure you will see much of a field difference though.

The current Nikon 600 does not take TCs that well. Looks like they had to introduce a matching TC (1.25X) to improve performance.

Bill Jobes
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
The Nikon MTF looks great, I am not sure you will see much of a field difference though.

The current Nikon 600 does not take TCs that well. Looks like they had to introduce a matching TC (1.25X) to improve performance.

Arash,

It's simply not correct to state that the current Nikon 600 does not take TCs that well.

I have the 600 VR II and it responds with blistering quickness to deliver the sharpest AF performance I've ever experienced. I speak from the experience of owning three iterations of the Nikon 600mm lenses.

I use the latest versions of all three Nikon TC's, and their IQ and AF is without peer.

And when you say 'the MTF charts 'look great, but you probably won't see much of a difference,' I can't help but conclude that you are speaking from a pro-Canon bias.

It would be more useful if we all stuck to the facts, and label our opinions as such.

arash_hazeghi
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Arash,

It's simply not correct to state that the current Nikon 600 does not take TCs that well.

I have the 600 VR II and it responds with blistering quickness to deliver the sharpest AF performance I've ever experienced. I speak from the experience of owning three iterations of the Nikon 600mm lenses.

I use the latest versions of all three Nikon TC's, and their IQ and AF is without peer.

And when you say 'the MTF charts 'look great, but you probably won't see much of a difference,' I can't help but conclude that you are speaking from a pro-Canon bias.

It would be more useful if we all stuck to the facts, and label our opinions as such.

Hi Bill, what I said about 600 VR and TC is from what I heard from Nikon flight shooters, I trust their word but I have to say I have no personal experience. Maybe Randy who uses this combo can chime in as well.

I did try the Nikon 1.7X with the 500 VR when I had one for a short period, and the result was just terrible, the 1.4 performed well although not as good as Canon.

As for MTF, I don't think it necessarily correlates to field performance as we have seen time and time over again for several reasons. Many lenses show great results at close range but sharpness falls of dramatically for farther subjects.

For me, a 10lb lens is not useful but I have no doubt the optics in Nikon are second to none, they better be at that price!

Bill Jobes
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
The version three Nikon TC's seem to have significantly improved upon their predecessors. Particularly when married with the Version II VR long lenses. At least that's my experience with the 600 VR II and the 300 2.8 VR II.

As for that 18-grand price point on the new 800, I must say that I was surprised. Fortunately, I don't have the need, nor urge at the moment, to take the leap.

Jim Gilley
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
I must have called a dozen mom & pop NPD shops in my region today, wanting to pre-order and willing to put at least 10% down. None wanted to help me in the least and some were even rude. I figured there was no point in calling the NYC mega stores because they will all have a huge waiting list and won't get any more than the small shops. And given Nikon's track record, they'll probably crank out 10 copies a year and we'll be waiting until the year 2030 before you can actually buy one. Maybe by the time the Nikon is actually available, Canon will have produced a body that competes with the D800 and I can use the EF 800/5.6 I bought as an investment when it was new a few years ago. Then again, that's quite a contest as to which comes first: the Nikon 800/5.6, the Canon high-MP body, or the second coming. Doh!

RoyConley
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
This is one item the mom and pop shops will not be carrying. I would even be surprised to see some of the bigger regional shops or the large chains handle this lens. Any camera shop that doesn't stock the current 300mm f2.8 is not going to be buying this thing on spec. B&H and Adorama have both started a pre order listing and I would expect that would be your quickest route to one.

Evan Cain
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Hey, the lens hood is only $1000! What a bargain!