PDA

View Full Version : Canon: flash for macro

fabiobernardino
01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Does any third-party manufacturer has a similar flash for the Canon system ?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410488-USA/Nikon_4805_SB_R200_Wireless_Remote_Speedlight.html

Or can it be used with any third-party adapter ?

Thank you.

Roman Kurywczak
01-28-2013, 09:36 PM
You've provided a link for a Nikon light for the macro system. Canons version is here:

http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?ProductID=2357A002&mfg=Canon&show=yes

which I consider the best macro purchase you can make if you are serious into macro. you do have options....ring lights cheaper and not quite as effective.....two flashes slaved.......great option but not hand holdable.....and combination of flash (even pop-up) reflectors and outside light sources. The MT24EX twin lights are the most effective for hand holding and give great light control. Many options....what do you want to do? Metz has a great lineup of lights that you can use in addition to your flash and save you some $... Many option sso you need to expand your questions as to your subject and budget.

fabiobernardino
01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
My system is Canon. Currently I'm using 50D and 7D. Macro lens is Sigma 150/2.8 OS. Flashes: 580EX2, 2x 430EX2.
I also got the Velbon Super Mag Macro Tripod Slider.
http://www.velbon.co.uk/products/accessories/super_mag_slider.html

Intended subject(s) is anything interesting and small (flower details, insects, textures and so on) !

The Canon solution is $749.99. Actually it is $829, there is an instant rebate that will end Feb.2.

The Nikon is $164.95. Buy 2 and it is $330. And it is also wireless TTL. Less than half the price of the Canon offer for a similar solution BUT in a (much) more complete package. And it also goes to 1/128 while most others 1/64.

AS-20 Speedlight stand
SS-R200 Soft Case
SJ-R200 Color Filter Set (consists of: FL-G1, TN-A1, Blue & Red Filters)
SZ-1 Color Filter Holder

The only thing included with the Canon is a soft case. I would have to buy a Canon 72C Macrolite Adapter which is another $30.

Metz has the Mecablitz 15 MS-1 Macro Flash.
$400 for the flash and $22 for the 72mm adapter.
Interesting but not as versatile and complete as the Nikon in my opinion.
Bob Atkins has a good review about it.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/metz_15_MS-1.html

I would like to know if there is any kind of Sync cord for Canon that I could use the Nikon system or any other third-party company has some adapter so I can use the Nikon flash with the Canon system.

As most companies have their flashes available for every brand (Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Sony, Pentax, etc), they know each flash protocol and I believe they're not violating any patent as the products are being sold worldwide. So it would be easy (I believe) to make an "Esperanto flash system" where you could translate A protocol into B protocol. I believe Radiopopper acts in a similar way.

It would be interesting a hotshoe adapter which could translate the Canon signals to Nikon wireless signal so we could use the Nikon SB-R200.

Is there such a gadget ?

Thank you.

Roman Kurywczak
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
The Nikon System price is incorrect......you are only pricing the twin flashes and not the commander unit; http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?ProductID=4803&cid=4&manufacturer=Nikon

I have used the Metz light and the Sigma ringlight.....both work very well but as you mentioned.....a bit flatter light for what you are considering. I wonder.....since the flash heads can be fired by a pop up flash and controlled through a menu output......do they work like a slave? I'll have to ask my Nikon friend who has one and maybe do an experiment.

fabiobernardino
01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Roman, thank you for your considerations. I never tried the Nikon flash system but from what I have read the flashes can be controlled by the built-in flash of most Nikon camera bodies (excluding the entry level models Dxx00). Even the Nikon D70 can do that. I believe they work as a slave.

I think is the same as what you can do with the built-in flash of the 7D.

Since you tried both the Metz and Sigma, which of the 2 do you think it's a best option ?
Only by reading I believe it would be the Metz as it seems it can give me more options to position the individual flashes and I could add other flashes as a background light for example.

Considering price and features I think the Nikon SB-R200 is impossible to beat by anything in the market nowadays.

If you could just use it on a non-Nikon system it would be great !

Nancy Phillips
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
I have used the Canon MT 24, and there is no question that it is the most compact and easy to use option for two-flash set-ups. DIY people can consult the Fred Miranda Macro Forum thread on "show your set-up" for a hundred or more variations of Macro flash setups, mostly home-made adaptations of standard flashes (home-made brackets, a bazillion diffusers, some insect-in-flight automatic detector/ shutter and flash activator gear).