PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper, Last Light

Bill Dix
01-28-2013, 01:06 PM
From Little Estero in November. I liked the way the last rays of reflected sun lit him up from beneath.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 1250, 1/800s @ f/7.1 manual.

nick clayton
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Nice warm light and a lovely bird. A lower angle, better body and head angle plus a catch light in the eye would have improved the image Bill.

Jim Crosswell
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM
I like the light, water colour, ripples and water drops. I could see a version that is not as tight but still fine as presented. Nice image Bill.

Randy Stout
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Bill:

There are very striking components here, the lighted reflections and quality of light on the bird, but as Nick pointed out, not the most flattering pose by the bird. Were you able to capture any other frames with these same conditions, that might show other poses?

Cheers

Randy

Robert Holguin
01-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Very nice shot.
I really like the light and the way it's reflectin on the water.
I agree a better pose would have been ideal, but it's still a nice shot.
Well done.

Daniel Cadieux
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Sweet light and I love the golden hues on the water. The floating water drop is awesome! I don't mind the pose per say, but I do wish for a catchlight or reflection in the eye.

Bill Dix
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks all. Randy and Nick, I only got a few frames of this little one - he was moving around pretty quickly - and this was the only one worth saving. I sort of liked the pose, but agree it's not ideal. I did shoot a Wilson's Plover in a better pose, about two minutes before this guy but in similar light, which I posted awhile back.

Nick and Daniel, here's a repost with a catchlight. Don't know if this helps.

Nick, I was lying on my belly in the sand, but the pool was a little below me. I don't know what lower would have done to the reflections, had it been possible.

Thanks for the helpful observations.

nick clayton
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't know what lower would have done to the reflections

Good point Bill