PDA

View Full Version : First go at BIF - Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus)

Charlie Schwencke
01-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Decided to get up early this morning to investigate a Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus) nest I have located about 10mins from home. Upon arrival two birds where seen feeding in a large branch beside the nest I think these where two Juveniles.
I then went to check out what had all the water birds going crazy in the near by swamp about 200m away. Once there this bird was chasing any water bird that stayed in the air, it almost looked like he was training.

First real time at BIF hope you enjoy and I would be greatful on any comments/suggestions.

Thanks Charlie

Name:Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus)
Gear: Pentax K-30 and Sigma 150-500mm @ F8 1/1250 ISO500, 440mm Hand Held
PP:ACR/CS5, shadows, contrast, sharpen, FF with only vertical crop.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/8423663114_ce40db66ec_b.jpg

Randy Stout
01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Charlie:

Nice soaring pose, sharp, handsome bird.

BIF is lots of fun, some frustration, but worth it for sure. Practice on ducks,geese or swans if you have a local sanctuary or park they frequent.
With a zoom lens you can acquire the bird with the lens zoomed out, and then zoom in tighter once you are locked on.

With birds against the sky, you will almost always have to compensate off what the meter tells you. The image above could have used a little more exposure to get the bird itself a bit lighter under the wings, although it is very easy to blow out the whites of transilluminated feathers.

Practice, practice, practice.

Cheers

Randy

Richard Unsworth
01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Pretty much the same shots I have been working on here with Red Kites and it aint easy.
If this really is your first BIF then its one heck of a first go!
Perhaps alittle more exposure would have made things brighter?
That would reduce ss of course so ISO 800 OR f5.6 wud have maintained that

PhilCook
01-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Looking good Charlie, myself on my monitor I find the exposure and underwing lighgt well handled, sits in the frame nicely as well lol...pretty pleasing shot for sure

Daniel Cadieux
01-28-2013, 03:21 PM
With BIF you will need the most SS you can afford. Your image looks sharp but judging from the colour noise it looks like it may have been underexposed and then brought back up during processing? Keep at it, as Randy says BIF can be challenging but very rewarding.

Charlie Schwencke
01-29-2013, 01:30 AM
With BIF you will need the most SS you can afford. Your image looks sharp but judging from the colour noise it looks like it may have been underexposed and then brought back up during processing? Keep at it, as Randy says BIF can be challenging but very rewarding.

Thanks everyone, you are on the money Daniel I did underexpose the image a little..