PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Screech Owl (Red Phase)

Jon Swanson
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I was fortunate to find this bird while doing a little birding. He has a zero tolerance for activity during the day so I have to set up close to his exit time (not too soon as it is sub zero around here at night) and wait for him to awake . Then get him in focus and switch to manual focus as the light goes away. It is a pleasure to have him to myself and watch him hunt after he leaves the roost...call, etc. without crowds of people if he were on the listserv. After coming home from a rainy San Diego with not much in the way of good images due to the clouds and all, it was great to come home and see him still around and make some lemonade. D800 600VR + TC 1.4II, f7.1 ISO 1250 -1.33 1/15th Fill Flash.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-27-2013, 02:16 PM
That's some sweet lemonade, Jon!
Your hard work paid off big time imo. I love everything about this image, and the best part - those gleaming claws :)
I pulled this into PS, removed the blue cast and warmified the image a tad and loved the result even more.
Terrific work!

Jon Swanson
01-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Sidharth. I also went into PS and changed some colors and it does look much better!

Loi Nguyen
01-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Jon, this is a lovely image with good details and sharp focus. If I have to nitpick, would like to see more details on the owl chest. Well done.

Randy Stout
01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Jon:

Nice story, fine image, great set of eyes, rich colors.

I use flash a lot, but my goal is to always make it as transparent as possible.

I did a little work on your image with a luminosity layer, and some targeted curves adjustments, to try and soften the flashed look.

Just an option for you.

Cheers

Randy

Nick Palmieri
01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Nice composition and well worth the effort. I think Randy's re-post is an improvement since it toned down some of the highlights. It looks like he is just sitting there posing for you. Nice job!

Karl Egressy
01-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Nice story, great image, Jon. Randy's repost is an improvement especially the tree trunk looks better.

Rachel Hollander
01-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Your patience and effort paid off. Randy's rp has softened the flash but I think there is still a slight blue cast.

TFS,
Rachel

Jon Swanson
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. The luminosity layer is something I am not familiar with so I will have to play with that one a little bit. I would prefer to get him on a sunny day, and have tried when he is sunning himself. But true to form he sees me stop then drops down the cavity.

Grace Scalzo
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Excellent find, great technique. The only thing I might consider is giving a bit more attention to his cavity by adding a touch to the right side. (as viewed) I would like for that to not be cut off as it's texture and shape holds interest too. i don't think that adding a bit on the right would harm your composition.

Robert Holguin
01-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Excellent shot.
Love those big yellow eyes, great pose, nice details, nad great comp.
I really like Randy's repost it looks more natural.
Very well done.

Stu Bowie
01-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi Jon, love the eye contact, and how the owl is nestled comfortably in his nest. We do have a good view of his talons - razor sharp no doubt, and I like Grace's idea of adding to the right.

Daniel Cadieux
01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
This is a really sweet image Jon. He's got himself a pretty gnarly cavity too, way cool. I like what Randy has done. I'm glad Sidharth mentioned the claws as they caught my attention too!

Colin Gilyeat
01-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Excellent image. I really like the eyes and the claws, those make the image for me.

Colin

Mike Delgado
01-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Your work paid off. Very nice image.