PDA

View Full Version : Turned !! (River Tern in flight)

supreet.sahoo
01-27-2013, 08:22 AM
A river tern maneuvers itself around a lake in search of breakfast.

7D, 420mm, 1/2000, 5.6

Stu Bowie
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Supreet, good diagonal flight pose across the frame, and we have a good view of the forked tail. Im finding your comp a bit too squarish ( just personal ) so creating a traditional lanscape would give the tern more space to fly into. In your techs, you didnt mention the ISO, Im seeing quite a bit of noise on the underwings. Did you bring up the exposure in pp.

supreet.sahoo
01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi Supreet, good diagonal flight pose across the frame, and we have a good view of the forked tail. Im finding your comp a bit too squarish ( just personal ) so creating a traditional lanscape would give the tern more space to fly into. In your techs, you didnt mention the ISO, Im seeing quite a bit on the underwings. Did you bring up the exposure in pp.

HI Stuart, my initial image was a horiz and somehow was not appealing a lot to me. The vertical looked more focus with the flight angle. I have added the original editing and let me know what you think. The ISO was 200 (which i forgot to add). Some of the under wings exp was brought out during the PP but not a lot. Thanks

Sidharth Kodikal
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
I agree with Stu that the op doesn't give the tern much room to fly into.
The noise seems to be high for iso 200. Was this a big crop?
Keep them coming!

Marina Scarr
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Nice flight position and decent angle. It looks to me as though you probably did too much work on the underwings here to lighten it up. The best time to photograph birds (especially white birds) is in the early morning or late afternoons so that the light hits underneath their wings. The work you have done is causing a lot of noise to show up in just those areas.

If you are photographing with a 7D, there is really no need to use an ISO lower than 400 when photographing birds and the 7D can easily handle up to ISO 800. Check out the photographs by Daniel Cadieux who uses a 7D. His latest photo with this camera was photographed at ISO 1600. Using a higher ISO will give you the choice of more speed or depth of field.

The recrop looks better.