PDA

View Full Version : Roosting Short-ear

Steve Large
01-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi Everyone,
Here is another shot of a roosting short-eared owl. This one was taken in my home stomping grounds at the Nanaimo esturary here on Vancouer Island.

Stats: Canon EOS-1D mark 4, 500mm F/4 series 1, taken at F/5, 1/640sec, ISO800

Background touched up a bit and offending branches removed.

Take care and good light,

Steve

Nelson Mena Alfaro
01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
wow so sharp

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Fantastic Steve, what a great looking owl, love those yellow eye. I also like the thin perch, sharpness and dark plain BG, nice work.

Nick Palmieri
01-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Really nice portrait . BG and Exposure look good and he is nice and sharp.

Melissa Groo
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Another superlative Short-Eared portrait from you, Steve. I love the way she stands out from that dark background. Great view of the white edging along the facial disk. I really like your comp and the one curling twig beneath. Just stellar. Envious as these are rare and endangered in NY state and I can't seem to get near one, despite much effort...

Cheryl Arena Molennor
01-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Beautiful with great detail. nice diagonal perch too

Jonathan Ashton
01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Quite simply one of the best SEO shots I have seen, beautiful detail and eye contact.

supreet.sahoo
01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
A great shot, during the migration they are usually seen hiding in small bushes in the Indian deserts and scrublands. Seeing them in such beautiful setting with diffused bg is a treat. Thanks

Steve Large
01-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the wonderful comments on this guy. Just one of our resident owls here but with the difference that he is not as concerned with us getting fairly close. He has been nick-named "Shorty" by one of the resident photographers and the name has stuck over the past few years. He has lovely markings with a distinct turned up feather on his back. That's how we know him from the other more skittish owls in the estuary.

Take care and good light,

Steve

Diane Miller
01-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Stunning! Great composition and IQ -- he/she jumps off the page!

stuart wanuck
01-26-2013, 03:17 PM
very well done

dankearl
01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Terrific photo, Steve.
I am really envious of you to have such great access to this beautiful Owl.
I have never had decent look and this one is awesome.
IQ, perch, details are exceptional.

Steve Large
01-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Terrific photo, Steve.
I am really envious of you to have such great access to this beautiful Owl.
I have never had decent look and this one is awesome.
IQ, perch, details are exceptional.

Thanks for the kind words Dan. I will try to get a close up flight shot sometime this week and post it for everyone. He is coming closer every day. Seems to happen with him every year for a couple of weeks just before he migrates back to his spring/summer habitat. Where ever that is.

Steve